Fantasy Faire 2017: Dawn’s Promise – click any image for full size
The largest fantasy-related event to take place in Second Life, Fantasy Faire brings together fantasy enthusiasts, creators, performers and designers for eleven days of commerce, special events, live music concerts with special emphasis on fund-raising for Relay for Life of Second Life.
This year, the gates opened on Thursday, April 20th and will remain open through until the end of the month of April, presenting 15 regions (including the entertainment and Quest regions) to be explored and enjoyed. I’ve had the good fortune of having early access to the regions as a Fantasy Faire website writer (although one of my articles got trounced upon by another on the same subject), so I’ve been able to see things as they’ve been built – and try some bits out; more on that soon!
One of the things that is fascinating about this year’s event is the broad range of the Fairelands region themes. In one or two cases, these go beyond what might be considered “normal” fantasy and into realms perhaps not so well visited in the past. The is a definite urban grunge bordering on a post-apocalyptic feel to San Mora, for example; while The Rose is clearly inspired by the plazas, buildings and canals of Venice as we see it today.
Darkness also has something of a theme as well – not so much in the “evil” kind of darkness per se (although there is that – or at least a foreboding deepening – as well. No, by darkness, I mean just that: several of the regions have opted for a twilight or night-time theme. Anansi, meanwhile has a twist of Something Wicked This Way Comes about it – in a very steampunk-ish way! There is even a touch of science-fiction through one of the role-play stories!
You can find the background notes on all the 2017 Faireland regions either via Sonya’s official welcoming post, or by visited the individual pages on each – and as time allows, I may well be offering thoughts on some as the days of the Faire progress.
Of course,as well as all the best in fantasy shopping, Fantasy Faire offers just about something for everyone. There’s the Literary Festival, which is based at Kakushi Pasu, and which I previewed earlier in the week. There is also the Fantasy Faire Quest – which opens on Friday, April 21st to avoid the initial rush to the Fairelands, and about which I will hopefully have a lot more to write about in due course!
Then there are the auctions. The silent auction takes place at the two auction houses at Kakushi Pasu (here and here), and the auction runs through until 17:00 SLT on Saturday, April 29th. The Live Auction will take place on the final day of the Faire, Sunday, April 30th, at Opal Flight.
Role-play! There will be plenty of opportunities for role-play throughout the Faireland regions (follow the links provided to find out more, SLurls at the end of this article):
- The NeoVictoria Project returns to the Fairelands with A Dark Circus, taking place on Anansi.
- The Lilypods of Murdana, for the young at heart, taking place on … Murdana
- Sanctuary at Ravens Perch, with a sci-fi-ish theme taking place at Raven’s Perch
- Ynys Seamaide, a legend built out of the fog of war, taking place at The Spirit Pool
- Outbreak, a post-apocalyptic horror and survival role-play, taking place at San Mora
- Steelwood, the fantasy Medieval Kingdom and role-play group present role-play at The Hill.
In addition, there will be special role-play classes hosted at Fallen Sands.
As a part of the entertainment, there will be dance shows from the top dance troupes from across Second Life, including the Changhigh Sisters, The Monarchs, The Night Theater, Sky Fire, the Misfits and more. Together with cabaret shows, burlesque – everything you could want in fact!
Then there are the DJs, the art galleries – so much to see and do, in fact, that you’re going to want to bookmark the Fantasy Faire website (as if you haven’t already!) and keep an eye on the event calendar (use the Agenda view for easier, daily viewing!).
Fantasy Faire 2017 SLurls
- Fairelands Junction – Portals and Memorial Area
- Anansi – The Worldling Cradle (Faireland sim concept exhibition); A Dark Circus role-play
- Chaddul Ro
- Dawn’s Promise
- Fallen Sands – role-play classes
- The Hill – Steewood role-play community
- Kakushi Pasu – Literary Festival and Silent Auction
- Morbus – Fairelands Quest Region
- Mudrana – The Lilypods of Murdana role-play
- Opal Flight – Arts and entertainment; Live Auction
- Raven’s Perch – Sanctuary role-play
- The Rose
- San Mora – Outbreak role-play
- The Spirit Pool – Ynys Seamaide role-play