- This is intended to be a reference source for all current public SL viewers / clients of which I’m aware / for which I have information, and is primarily drawn from the Second Life Third-party viewer Directory listing
- Updates will be made as-an-when I notice / am informed of releases from the various Viewers
- A weekly summary of changes will be published on the Monday of each week, listing all changes noted during the previous week
- Comments on this page are closed, but can be left on the relevant weekly summary page
- Recent updates / releases shown in green.
- (32/64) – indicates versions available as 32 or 64 bit (where applicable / known); (64) – indicates available as 64-bit only
- Note that viewers considered as now having been updated recently enough to be fully compatible with Second Life are now listed under a separate heading towards the end of this page.
LL Official Viewers
Available for: Windows, Linux, Mac.
- Current Release version 184.108.40.2069115, dated September 22, promoted October 13 – formerly the “Moonshine” Maintenance RC.
- Release channel cohorts (please see my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- Maintenance RC viewer, version 220.127.116.119497, dated October 17.
- Voice RC viewer, version 18.104.22.1689552, dated September 1.
- Wolfpack RC viewer,version 22.214.171.1249128, dated September 22 – this viewer is functionally identical to the release viewer, but includes additional back-end logging “to help catch some squirrelly issues”
- Alex Ivy 64-bit viewer, version 126.96.36.1998209, dated September 5.
- Project viewers:
- Obsolete platform viewer version 188.8.131.520847, dated May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7. This viewer will remain available for as long as reasonable, but will not be updated with new features or bug fixes.
LL Viewer Resources
- Alternate Viewers wiki page – LL
- Viewer Source Repositories wiki page – LL
- Test Builds wiki page – LL
- Supported Viewers wiki page – LL
- Starlight alternative viewer skins page (not officially supported by LL)
- Viewer release process overview – this blog
- SL Viewer reviews on this blog
- SL viewer updates in this blog
Third Party Viewers
- Alchemy version 184.108.40.206161 – July 24 (release notes)
- Black Dragon for Windows
- Catznip version R11 – December 11, 2016 (release notes)
- Firestorm version 220.127.116.11912 – June 22 (release notes)
- Kokua Release:
- 64-bit Second Life test:
- 64-bit OpenSim test:
- Available for: Windows, Linux
- Download page
- Kokua reviews in this blog
- Restrained Love Viewer version 18.104.22.168 – May 25 (release notes)
- Cool VL:
Mobile / Other Clients
- Group Tools 22.214.171.124 – February 28
- LittleSight version 2.0.0 – October 29, 2016
- Lumiya version 3.4.2 October 5
- MetaChat for iOS version 1.1.0 – October 14 – (release notes)
- Mobile Grid Client version 1.25.1252 – June 17, 2016 (release notes)
- Radegast client version 2.24 – July 15 (release notes)
TPVs Lacking Full SL Compatibility
These viewers are available for download, but are not considered to be fully compatible with current Second Life services. Depending on your usage, they may or may not meet your needs.
- CtrlAltStudio version 126.96.36.199412 – July 18, 2016 (Oculus CV1 support) (release notes)
- Exodus (v3-style) version 13.09.21.1 beta – September 21, 2013 (release notes)
- Imprudence (v1-style) version 188.8.131.52 experimental – May 28, 2013 (release notes & download links)
Additional TPV Resources
Discontinued Viewers / Clients
The following viewers and clients are no longer supported by their creators / available for download.
- UKanDo (v5-style) discontinued as of May 11th, 2017.
- Dolphin (v3-style) discontinued June 2015.
- Niran’s Viewer (v3-style) superseded by Black Dragon – August 2013.
- Zen Viewer (v3 style) discontinued January 2013.
- SL Beta and SL Development viewer branches (v3-style) discontinued, 2013.
- Replex (v1-style) discontinued March 2016.
- Phoenix viewer (v1 style) discontinued December 2012.
- Pocket Metaverse no longer available November 2015.
- Metabolt discontinued April 2015.
- SLiteChat discontinued, 2011.