As per usual, this article provides an overview of the more visible updates in the release. Please refer to the release notes for a full list of updates and all associated credits. Also, note that this update means that version 22.214.171.124634 will be blocked from logging in to the Second Life grid in about three weeks.
A small personal note: my apologies to Firestorm users who may have been directed to this post by the Firestorm team’s release announcement or the Firestorm 6.2.457588 release notes and were unable to find it. My ISP suffered a major (8+ hour) outage some 90 minutes before the release was made, preventing me from uploading and posting this overview.
Why A Second Life Only Release?
As noted above, Firestorm 126.96.36.199588 is for Second Life only. This is because Firestorm are changing how they support Second Life and OpenSim grids. You can read the full details in the official Firestorm blog post Second Life and OpenSim are No Longer Joined at the Hip, but in short, and in the future:
- The Firestorm code is forked into two repositories: Second Life and OpenSim.
- The Second Life dedicated viewer’s grid manager will only offer Agni and Aditi (SL main and beta grids).
- The OpenSim dedicated viewer’s grid manager will NOT offer Second Life grids.
- If you wish to access both OpenSim and Second Life, you will have to install both versions of Firestorm
- the two versions will install entirely independently to one another and will not share settings or cache, so they will not conflict with each other.
Note that at the time of writing, the OpenSim download page points to Firestorm 188.8.131.52680, which still works on both SL and OpenSim, and will use the same settings folders as 6.2.4. This will change with the next Firestorm update.
The Usual Before We Begin
As per my usual preamble:
- There is no need to perform a clean install with this release if you do not wish to.
- Do, however, make sure you back-up all your settings safely so you can restore them after installing 6.2.4.
- Please refer to the official release notes for a full breakdown and changes, updates and credits associated with this release.
Lab Derived Updates
Firestorm 184.108.40.206588 brings the Firestorm viewer up to the current (at the time of writing) Linden Lab release viewer, version 220.127.116.117758, formerly the Rainbow RC viewer promoted on June 18th, 2019.In addition, this release includes some upstream fixes from current LL RC viewers, such as the HiDPI retina display support on Mac systems (Love Me Render RC).
Please refer to the Firestorm 6.2.4 release notes for details of specific Lab-derived fixes for this release.
Estate Access Management (EAM)
It has long been the case that the lists for managing access to a region / estate have been crammed into the General tab of the Region / Estate floater (World > Region / Estate or ALT-R). This has made the management of these lists – particularly the Banned list – difficult when reaching large numbers.
The Estate Access Management (EAM) project was introduced by Linden Lab to address the various shortfalls with the presentation of these list, through both back-end changes and a refactoring of the Region / Estate floater. Firestorm release 18.104.22.168588 includes the updated viewer UI, allowing estate owners and officers to make use of the improved tools.
In particular, the EAM moves the access control elements of the Region / Estate viewer away from the General tab and into their own dedicated tab (show below).
In terms of adding or removing names and groups, the new Access sub-tabs work in much the same way as the list boxes in previous releases. However, with the new design, additional functionality is added to some of the lists:
- The Banned list additionally records:
- The last date on which a banned individual logged-in to Second Life (to assist with housekeeping the list – if an account hasn’t been used in X months or years, why keep it on the list?).
- The date on which an individual was banned.
- The name of the estate officer / region holder who implemented the ban.
- The Banned tab can be sorted into ascending / descending order by banned name, date last logged in, date banned, or by person banning them. Click on the column title to sort.
- The Estate Managers, Allowed and Allowed Groups tabs can be sorted into ascending / descending order by name. Click on the column title to sort.
- The Allowed Groups, Allowed and Banned tabs all include a search option.
- The number of allowed Estate Managers is increased from 10 EMs to 15 EMs – again in response to many requests from region holders.