Back in January, I provided a piece on the Lab’s new owners / board of directors, including their biographical notes as posted by the Lab (see: Meet Linden Lab’s new board of directors).
Since then, user interest in the new owners has remained fairly high in some areas, with questions being asked on social media, in-world, during user group meetings (the most recent being the Web User Group), etc.
Some of the more common questions that have been answered by Lab staff (and that I’m aware of) comprise:
- Have they been in-world? – Yes, they were in-world prior to the deal being finalised, and still hop in as needed.
- Do they understand SL? – Yes, they are enthusiastic about the platform and have already been contributing thoughts / ideas.
- Have they seen any Adult regions? – Yes, they have.
- Will they be talking directly with users (e.g. via a Town Hall)? – There have been no direct discussions as yet about this.
- Do they have specific aspirations regarding SL / LL? – None that have been directly discussed; it’s been more a case of gaining a deeper familiarity with the platform and its potential.
For my part whilst writing Meet Linden Lab’s new board of directors I ruminated on Raj Date possibly being involved in Tilia Inc, the Lab’s micro-currency transaction management service, commenting:
His background with consumer affairs, finances, and his post-CFPB founding of Fenway Summer would appear to help lend significant weight to Linden Lab’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Tilia inc; while he is not currently listed as a member of Tilia’s board, his background and expertise could be used in an advisory capability, and his name certainly brings a further level of gravitas to Tilia.
Since then things have moved forward.
In particular, Tilia’s Meet the Team page has been updated to reveal that both Raj Date and Brad Oberwager have joined the board, whilst former “non-Linden” (so to speak) board member Ben Duranske is not longer listed as being directly involved in the company. Both Mr. Date and Mr. Oberwager now hold seats on the board alongside of the Lab’s Chief Financial Officer, Anton Waldman, who has held both the position of Tilia Inc., CEO and Director and Treasurer on the board since taking over as the Lab’s CFO some time ago.
This is a move that makes a lot of sense, as it ensures a continuity of board oversight across both Linden Research and Tilia Inc., potentially helping with the growth of both entities.