The following notes were taken from the Tuesday, May 11th, 2021 Simulator User Group (SUG) meeting. The majority of the discuss was about the advantages of scripted ability to manipulate hover height.
At the time of writing, there had been no server deployment thread available for review.
- Tuesday, May 11th saw no deployment to servers on the Main SLS channel previously updated to server maintenance package 558586, in week #18.
- Wednesday, May 12th should see the RC channels updated to server release 559341 – for more on this, see below.
Server Update 559341
This update introduces a new Experiences-related LSL function, llOpenFloater();. When invoked, it sends a message to the owning Agent’s viewer, instructing it to open a new browser floater pointed at the URL provided by the LSL script, if the owning Agent’s viewer understands that request.
However, it is important to note that the capability is restricted to Linden-owned Experiences – which are also called privileged experiences – and (in difference to Maestro Linden’s request for feedback on wider applications found in the deployment thread) is not being opened for general use, as the Lab is aware of the potential risks in doing so (e.g. DDOSing / doxing attacks).
As the deployment thread notes, the primary reason for deploying the function is that it will be used with the upcoming work related to the new user experience, which should be deployed this summer.
During the meeting, Simon Linden had this to say on the subject of Group chat:
We just updated the last set of chat servers for this round. I’m not going to promise this will fix group chat, I’ve done this enough times to know that’s not good to say. But I sure hope it helps.
The start of the week has seen no updates to the current crop of official viewers, leaving the pipelines as follows:
- Release viewer: Eau de Vie Maintenance viewer, version 188.8.131.528266, dated April 23, promoted April 29 – No change.
- Release channel:
- Project viewers:
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 184.108.40.2060519, dated October 26.
- Copy / Paste viewer, version 220.127.116.113365, dated December 9, 2019.
- Project Muscadine (Animesh follow-on) project viewer, version 18.104.22.1682999, dated November 22, 2019.
- 360 Snapshot project viewer, version 22.214.171.1249111, dated July 16, 2019.
The following video of the meeting is courtesy of Pantera Północy.