As usual, please refer to the server deployment thread for the latest updates.
- There was no deployment / restart to the Main (SLS) channel on Tuesday, March 6th, leaving it on server maintenance package 18#18.02.12.512536.
- No deployments are scheduled to either the Magnum or LeTigre RCs on Wednesday, March 7th, leaving them on server maintenance package 18#18.02.12.512536. However, given it is now two weeks since these channels were last restarted, they should undergo a restart this week.
- The BlueSteel RC should receive a new server maintenance package on Wednesday, March 7th. 18#18.03.05.513046 is said to comprise “internal fixes”.
360-Snapshot Viewer 184.108.40.2063006
The 360-snapshot project viewer updated to 220.127.116.113006, intended to offer improved image resolutions and clarity. However, the update includes some significant issues of its own, including:
- A failure to render in-world objects / Linden Water in 360-snapshots if Object-Object Occlusion (CTRL-SHIFT-O) is active.
- A failure to render Linden Water (and possibly in-world objects) when saving snapshots to disk when using the Custom drop-down and leaving Constrain Proportions unchecked.
- Include HUDs option in the snapshot viewer is inverted: when unchecked, HUDs are displayed in snapshots (and might appear in 360-snaps), when checked, HUDs are not displayed.
- UI placement issues when the UI is displayed in the snapshot floater preview window – these issues do not translate to captured images, which display the UI correctly.
JIRAs have been raised against these issues.
Apart from the 360-snapshot project viewer update, all viewers currently in LL’s pipelines remain unchanged from the end of week #9:
- Current Release version 18.104.22.1682803, dated February 23, promoted March 1 – formerly the Nalewka Maintenance RC – NEW
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
- Linux Spur viewer, version 22.214.171.1249906, dated November 17, 2017 and promoted to release status 29 November – offered pending a Linux version of the Alex Ivy viewer code.
- Obsolete platform viewer, version 126.96.36.1990847, May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
Region Crossing Issues Investigation
As noted over the last few weeks, user Joe Magarac (animats) has been digging into the viewer code handling region crossings (See Firestorm JIRA FIRE-21915),SL Forum thread, and this Google document, plus my last update here for more).
He has now come up with s further approach, using a scripted means to turn off physics and freeze a vehicle on hand-off to the next region and then wait for the avatar data to arrive, using llGetObjectDetails (avatar, [OBJECT_ROOT]) to check for the presence of avatars. On confirming they are present, the vehicle resumes. Overall, the delay is a few milliseconds, and seems to work. However, as Rider Linden notes, Linden Lab still needs to address the crossing logic, although where such work might fit in the current schedule is unclear.
Environment Enhancement Project (EEP)
A set of environmental enhancements, including:
- The ability to define the environment (sky, sun, moon, clouds, water settings) at the parcel level.
- New environment asset types (Sky, Water, Days – the latter comprising multiple Sky and Water) that can be stored in inventory and traded through the Marketplace / exchanged with others.
- Experience-based environment functions
- An extended day cycle (e.g a 24/7 cycle) and extended environmental parameters.
This work involves simulator and viewer changes, and includes some infrastructure updates.
“I got my first inventory objects on the test grid yesterday,” Rider noted at the Simulator User Group meeting. “I’m cleaning up the inventory code today and will wire the old editors in so you can create assets. I expect to have a viewer that people can play with very, very soon.”