On Wednesday, May 29th, Linden Lab announced a number of changes to Second Life fees and services (see Land Price Reductions, New Premium Perks and Pricing Changes).
In particular – for the purposes of this article at least – that blog post indicated that from Monday, June 24th, Premium subscriptions will be increasing as follows:
- Monthly subscriptions will be increasing from US $9.50 per month to US $11.99 . This is representative of a 26.21% increase over the course of a year (from US $114 pa to US $143.88 pa).
- Annual subscriptions will be increasing from US $72.00 per year to US $99.00. This is representative of an increase of 37.5% pa.
- Quarterly subscriptions will be increased from US $22.50 to US $32.97. This is representative of a 46.53% increase over the course of a year (US $90 pa to US $131.88 pa).
Further it was also indicated that after June 24th, 2019:
- The Quarterly subscription package will be withdrawn as an upgrade option from June 24th, 2019, although Premium members already using the plan will be able to continue with it.
- The Monthly and Quarterly subscription plans will be subject to VAT for EU residents.
In order to try to sweeten these increases (the first to Premium subscriptions in a long time), the Lab indicated that from Monday, June 3rd through until Monday, June 24th, Premium users would be able to “lock in” their current billing rate for one more cycle.
In case you missed it – as the Lab opted to update their May 29th blog post rather than make a separate announcement – the lock-in offer is now available, as highlighted by the Lab at the top of the May 29th blog post:
UPDATE: The limited-time opportunity for existing Premium members to lock in their current rates for one more billing cycle, including extending an existing monthly to use the current full year rate by upgrading now to annual is now available on the premium page. Simply renew before June 24th to extend your current Membership at the same low rate. For example, monthly members will be billed at the lower rate for one more monthly billing cycle, while annual members may renew (or monthly users may upgrade to annual) early to add one more year to your existing Membership at the current lower rate.
This means, for example, that as a Premium member on the annual billing plan, I normally have to renew towards the end of the year. However, if I take advantage of this lock in offer, I will effectively gain my 2020 membership at the current $72.00 rate (albeit paid well in advance), rather than having to pay $99.00 when my renewal falls due at the end of 2019 – I’ll only see the increase when / if I renew towards the end of 2020.
Whether you take advantage of the lock in or not is down to your personal choice and circumstance. However, should you wish to do so:
- Go to your Second Life dashboard at secondlife.com.
- On the left, and below your account name, click Account to display the account options drop-down, then click on Premium Membership.
- Scroll down to the Management Membership section.
- The lock in option will be displayed against your current membership plan (the image below shows it against Annual, as that is the plan I have).
- Click the radio button to the left of the lock in option to activate the Proceed to Cashier button.
- Complete the billing requirements.