Lance Corrimal has launched Dolphin 3, the latest in the Dolphin range of Third-Party Viewers, and another alternative to Viewer 2.x/3.x.
The new release follows hard on the heels of the Firestorm “Mesh Beta” brings with it a wealth of new features – including mesh object rendering. The full list of new features reads:
- All new goodies from Linden Labs up to their internal version 3.0.3:
- Mesh object rendering
- Camera depth-of-field
- Avatar physics
- Native 64m prim support
- Build tool improvements (see below)
- Increased maximum cache size (up to 9984 Mb)
- Increased maximum setting for LOD (up to 8 )
- Mini-map back in the People sidebars with options to turn off & re-size
- Enhanced parcel privacy, a check box in About Land/Options
- Marine Kelley’s Restrained Love v2.07.03.03
- All of Lance’s own additions to Dolphin 2, with the exception of Qarl Fizz’ “select Linden plants” patch, which does not work with the mesh engine
The improved build tools include:
- Ability to perform simple mathematics in the spinner controls in the Build tool’s Object tab (numeric fields in Position, Size, Rotation). For example, to double the length of a prim along the y axis you enter sy*2 in the y-size field. The other “variables” are px/py/pz for position, sx,sy,sz for size, rx,ry,rz for rotation.
- A new button in the Build tool is present, so that creators can create a sculpted prim directly instead of first creating a box and then changing it to a sculpt.
- The maximum number of repeats for textures has been set to 256
- The maximum size for hollow has been increased to 99.99% from 95%
- More precision (4 decimals) in the spinner controls in the Build tool, together with a way to increase and decrease the single digits with your keyboard
This release does not include mesh object uploads, for the same reason a Firestorm 3, and may also have inherited the Linden-generated nVidia 400-series+ crash bug – so caution may be required in using Basic Shaders.
I’ll hopefully have a features review of Dolphin 3 out within the next 24 hours.