November 2026 SL Web User Group Summary

The Web User Group meeting venue, Denby

The following notes cover the key points from the Web User Group (WUG) meeting, held on Wednesday November 4, 2026. These notes form a summary of the items discussed and is not intended to be a full transcript. Pantera’s video is embedded at the end of this article, my thanks to her for providing it.

Meeting Overview

  • The Web User Group exists to provide an opportunity for discussion on Second Life web properties and their related functionalities / features. This includes, but is not limited to: the Marketplace, pages surfaced through the secondlife.com dashboard; the available portals (land, support, etc), and the forums.
  • As a rule, these meetings are conducted:
    • On the first Wednesday of the month at 14:00 SLT.
    • In both Voice and text.
    • At this location.
  • Meetings are open to anyone with a concern / interest in the above topics, and form one of a series of regular / semi-regular User Group meetings conducted by Linden Lab.
  • Dates and times of all current meetings can be found on the Second Life Public Calendar, and descriptions of meetings are defined on the SL wiki.

Web Services Updates

[Video start-6:00]

  • Second Life web maps
    • maps.secondlife.com now supports searching by region name, and across all maturity ratings. Just enter a region name in the search bar.
    • The caps API issue reported in my simulator user group update is known, and it is hoped this will have a fix in place in the coming week.
      • This was apparently part of the fall-out from the Internet P2PShell vulnerability at the end of October.
      • A problem here is whilst LL own the domain and the map service, some of the API are provided by third-parties and not directly under LL’s control. Further investigations are going on to see if these APIs can be handled in a more protected manner, or whether there needs to be some form of migration away from them to an alternate solution.
  • A fix has gone in to hopefully resolve the issue of some snapshots failing to upload (to the SL feeds?). This is being monitored.
  • Continued under-the-hood (i.e. non-user-visible) refactoring and clean up of the Marketplace. This should result in:
    • Better visibility for the team when things fail, for fixing response / fixing.
    • Better performance around automated jobs (PLEs, redeliveries, etc).
  • Multiple security patches and cleaning-up to better deal with attempted AI generated exploits.
    • Once aspect of the security work LL has been implementing throughout 2026 meant that when the P2PShell vulnerability surfaced, they were well placed to deal with it, and none of the SL services had to be taken down in order to avoid exposure, etc.

Marketplace Images

[Video: 6:35-22:07]

Question form LL: how do creator merchants on the MP go about making images for their listings (thought processing, editing, , what is included, tools used, etc.).

  • General response:
    • Many simply use the ad image they use in their in-world vendors + supporting images.
    • The preferred tools were given as PhotoShop and GIMP for editing.
  • Requests were made for:
    • Actually embedding videos of products, rather than just linking to them – this appeared to be misunderstood, as a mitigating factor raised was that of “hosting” videos by LL – while what was being asked for was embedding of You Tube, etc., videos (which is still complex, but does not require storage on LL’s part).
    • An ability to zoom / enlarge images.
    • An agreed aspect ratio / format for images.
  • Whilst somewhat separate in terms of responsibility: a better choice of aspect ratios for Inventory thumbnails rather than just 1:1 square, as many creators use the same image for both thumbnails and MP, and so feel limited.
  • It was noted that support for GIF images is being looked at.
  • Juniper also enquired whether creators would consider having a 3D preview option for their products (e.g. as with Turbosquid or the SL mesh upload preview tool) would be useful.
    • This received generally favourable responses.
    • However, the idea of only allowing 3D previews of products was not so positively received (do HUDs benefit from a 3D preview? do texture images  – such as art pieces – benefit?); what about resellers who do not have access to the original asset? What would they display?
    • Overall the feeling was that a 3D preview would be a powerful addition to the MP, but it should not exclude the use of 2D images, with the request being made for any 3D preview to include a wireframe view option as well, and something like a “data sheet” listing things like LOD models, Land Impact, etc., so that users who wish to can made more informed decisions on purchases.
    • Some of this conversation got into the weeds, technically, on how best to handle things.
    • Later in the meeting the request was made that – if a 3D preview option is to be provided – LL look at also providing an animation preview capability.
  • Juniper emphasised the idea of a 3D preview was more for feedback purposes at this point than something actively being implemented, with the internal focus at the Lab being brainstorming how to make MP listings “better”.

General MP Discussion

[Video: 16:54-46:52]

These topics were raised during or immediately following  as a part of the above.

  • Variants and Styles: the ability for creators to have a single listing for all colour / size variants of the same item, rather than having to list them all individually.
    • The idea of “Styles” or “Variants” – both terms have been used by LL for this – has been a long-running topic, and in 2021/2 a project was initiated to provide this, and by late 2022 it was indicated it could be deployed in 2023. Since then, it has emerged that the capability is not ready for deployment, and has consistently slipped down the list of priorities at LL.
    • Juniper commented on the Variants situation as:
Variants is a big push we would like to do that of course, and part of our marketplace clean up is so we can work this bit by bit if we can.
    • The request was made to at least allow a means for creators to somehow group versions of an item together beyond just related photos.
  • Marketplace Categories: a further request was made for the Marketplace categories to be overhauled (e.g. “hair” being classified as an “accessory” rather than a “body part”).
    • It was also asked way Categories appear to the left of non-listing pages and as a drop-down selection in the page header area (where it also appears on listing pages). However, the latter is intended for searches and does not have the same granularity as the Category list in terms of sub-lists of items.
    • It was suggested that rather than having hierarchical/static categories, the MP should have a more filter-like approach (as seen within other on-line marketplaces), allowing returns based on multiple selections (and which can be used with search terms as well) – as with the filtering on Inventory.
    • Juniper noted that right now, there is an internal exercise going on to consider how categories might be improved.
  • “Thank You” page and links: Following a purchase, the Marketplace displays a “thank You” page, which has hints and tips for shopping which, most notably:
    • There is a link “How to Collect your Purchase” – which actually goes to a video covering purchasing L$, using the Marketplace, buying in-world etc., with only a small portion on how to find MP purchases in inventory. Given that people will have already gone through buying L$ and purchasing things from the MP – why not just have a clear, simple instruction directing people to look for their purchase in the Received Items area / folder of their viewer’s inventory?
    • Whilst there is a link to return to the MP homepage, it is buried among other links – surely it should be promoted so as to be more obvious?
  • More general:
    • Juniper noted that work is going on to make redeliveries more robust. It was noted that the ability for creators to have their own items redelivered through the listing management pages appears broken for some.
    • The view was again expressed that there are too many clicks required for a creator to get to their listings (currently: Creator name > My Marketplace > Merchant Home > Manage Listings – why not have Manage Listings under My Marketplace?).
    • Requests was made for creators to be able to:
      • Set an item as a Featured Item in their own Marketplace store.
      • Have in-world store Groups to be linked to the creator’s Marketplace, so that Group members shopping at the MP get a discount.
    • Various suggestions were made for LL to host “curated” limited-time sales events on the MO. For example: an invitation for creators to register for participation in periodic Marketplace Sales events (aligned with Shop and Hop?), limited to so many creators. Those who are successful have their item(s) listed a specific set of MP “Sale” pages generated by LL, with items automatically returning to their “pre-sale” price at the end of the event. Those successfully participating in one event are automatically excluded from the next.
      • Having a creator set their entire store as having a sale was seen as a potentially easier option to provide than this particular idea.
    • A request for a store’s banner logo to appear on all associated listing pages, not just the store page, rather than the small square logo to the right.

In Brief

  • [Video: 47:04-55:25] The question on what information  – such as Map-related data for use in terrain maps, etc., – is permissible for collection & how it might be collected was again asked.
    • This is a question which has been subject to a game of pass the parcel around the various user groups.
    • The concern is that it is not clear as to what is / is not permissible to be collected via bot, and the potential for bot systems to be banned (a-la Bonniebots)
    • Ideally, having a dedicated API to furnish “allowable” region information such as terrain information (elevation, etc.), water height, region name, height of structures, etc., would be the preferred solution.
    • It was again noted that not all of the API LL uses are under their direct control – although this might be changing in some way. As such, Juniper offered to take the request back to the office to try to have it discussed with all relevant parties and in line with whatever is trying to be achieved with API management in general.

Next Meeting

  • Wednesday, December 2, 2026.

2026 week #45: SUG Leviathan Office Hour

The Simulator User Group meeting place at Longfellow

Updated November 4: information on the cause & a fix for the maps.scondelife.com issue – see General Discussion, below (update highlighted).

The following notes were taken from the Tuesday, November 3, 2026 Leviathan Office Hour, the “off-week” sessions of the Simulator User Group (SUG) meeting. These notes form a summary of the items discussed, and are not intended to be a full transcript. A video of the meeting by Pantera is embedded at the end of this summary – my thanks to her for providing it.

Meeting Overview

  • The Simulator User Group (also referred to by its older name of Server User Group) exists to provide an opportunity for discussion about simulator technology, bugs, and feature ideas is held every other Tuesday at 12:00 noon, SLT (holidays, etc., allowing), per the Second Life Public Calendar.
  • The “Leviathan Office Hour” meetings are held on the Tuesdays which do not have a formal SUG meeting, and are chaired by Leviathan Linden. They are more brainstorming / general discussion sessions.
  • Meetings are held in text in-world, at this location.

Simulator Deployments

  • The SLS Main channel was restarted on November 3, 2026 with no deployment.
  • On Wednesday, November 4, 2026, the RC channels should all receive the latest version of the Olive simulator update, which had a limited deployment in week #44. This update includes:
    • Pepper Linden’s region crossing code improvements for vehicles – these can already be tested on Blake Sea, as the majority of those regions are already a part of the Breeze RC channel, and have been used for initial code testing).
    • The new Group Role ability to define who in a Group can post URL links to Group Chats. However, this will not be enabled until Olive has been fully deployed grid-wide. See below for more.
    • Support for the feature flag required by viewers to be able to safely send the GameControlData UDP message for the new Game_Control capability. Currently, the upcoming  viewer 26.5, (in RC/beta at the time of writing), support Game_Control capabilities, the sending of GameControlData currently must be enabled via Preferences. This will change as Olive moves to being grid-wide.
  • There are at least three crash fixes lined up for the next server release (Plum). One of them corrects a memory leak problem before it gets to a crash; it is hoped this will reduce the number of restarts required over the holiday period.
  • It currently looks like back-end Lua support deployment may not now take place until 2027.

General Updates

Game_Control

  • Game_control is available with the official viewer 26.5, currently in RC / beta.
  • However, the current version of game_control requires a bug fix for some 3Dconnexion devices (aka SpaceNavigator style devices). In short, any device that does not supply a “3DConnexion model-name” string on initial device detection fails to be identified. However, old devices do work.
    • There is a fix for this issue, but it has yet to be merged into the current 26.5 viewer code, although it will be before release.
  • A pull request (PR) to support per-device curvature of axis input of the gamepads has been received, and this will likely be included as well.
  • Leviathan is also seeking further feedback on game_control before he gives it a “final polish”, although he admits he expects far more feedback to come once popular TPVs start incorporating the code.

General Discussion

Please refer to the video, below.

  • Leviathan is currently working on fixes for some issues with the Interest List (the logic that figures out what is in view and send objects updates).
    • This work actually started earlier in 2026 but other priorities pushed it to one side.
    • Leviathan hopes to get these fixes into the Plum simulator update.
  • In relation to the above: Pepper Linden developed a simulator test harness for use with AI agents, making it easy to launch multiple simulators and to automatically exercise and debug various scenarios/content..
    • This approach played a key role in allowing Pepper to develop their region crossing fixes in the Olive simulator update currently being deployed.
    • Leviathan similarly used the harness to poke at the Interest List issues and his memory leak bugs, specifically in dissecting ana analysing core dumps.
    • His use of Claude has led him to believe that tracking down, assessing and fixing causes of simulator crashes should be a lot faster in future.
  • A question was asked on the state of map.second.life.com, which current has issues (e.g. clicking on a location on the map fails to look up the region name because the endpoint it makes a request to returns “Invalid Capability ID”) . This is a question potentially better placed with the Web Team, given map.secondlife.com is a web property.
    • Update, November 4: a fix for this issue should be deployed in the coming week. This issue was apparently part of the fall-out from the Internet P2PShell vulnerability at the end of October.
    • A problem here is whilst LL own the domain and the map service, some of the API are provided by third-parties and not directly under LL’s control. Further investigations are going on to see if these APIs can be handled in a more protected manner, or whether there needs to be some form of migration away from them to an alternate solution.
  • There was a user-led discussion on media and media URLs being accessible by script around the half-way point in the meeting.
  • The latter half of the meeting focuses on both game_control, keyboard capture, key mapping, key events in the control event and requests for scripting additions – please refer to the latter half of the video for these.

Date of Next Meetings

  • Formal SUG meeting: Tuesday, November 10, 2026.
  • Leviathan Linden: Tuesday, November 17, 2026.

2026 week #44 Land & Support meeting: Moles & More

The Land and Support User Group meeting area, Linden Estate Services

The following notes were taken from the Wednesday October 28, 2026 Land and Support User Group meeting. These notes form a summary of the items discussed, and are not intended to be a full transcript. A video of the meeting by Pantera is embedded at the end of this summary – my thanks to her for providing it.

Meeting Overview

  • The Land and Support User Group meeting is intended for discussion & education of current known issues and bugs, project viewers and new features, and general Mainland issues.
  • Meetings are:
    • Generally take place on the 4th Wednesday of the month at 12:00 noon, SLT, per the Second Life Public Calendar.
    • Held in text in-world, at this location, and are a mix of Voice and local chat.
    • Hosted by Wendi and Izzy Linden.

General Updates

General Mainland Work

  • Satori water regions: additional water regions are/have been added to the southern tip of the continent (Furball and eastwards) to make navigation / flying easier.
  • Additional work has been going on fixing assorted small issues.
  • The next planned infrastructure project is “probably” building roads within Nautilus, around the Bob Too region area, although other options are being considered.
  • Further Linden Homes are being added, with a focus on Premium Plus 2048 sq m parcels – Ridgewood Enclave and Copperfield Heights. Further 2048 units are due to be added.
  • Reminders that Linden Home availability is provided here and Premium Plus subscribers can request a Linden Home at a specific location via a Support ticket.

“New Zindra” and the Parcel Lottery

  • For details on the lottery itself please see: Lab provides Zindra new land update for Second Life.
  • The lottery is now complete.
  • LL believes the programme went smoothly, and strengths and weaknesses within it are being discussed internally.
  • The overall number of parcels in the lottery wasn’t indicated (details not to hand), but Wendi Linden was “sure” there will be an update on the programme in due course.
  • The Adult Hub with the Mosh region of Zindra is currently under reconstruction.
  • A request was made for Adult Linden Homes – no current plans.

Changes/ Phasing Out of the “Mole” Last Name for LDPW Contractors

Brief Background
  • The Linden Department of Public Works (LPDW) was founded in 2008 as a mean by which Second Life users could work for Linden Lab as contractors to undertake specific in-world tasks and work.
  • Collectively, these contractors were referenced as “Moles” (as a good portion of their original mandate was terraforming / landscaping / building) and they were given the last name “Mole”.
  • Notable major projects in this regard carried out by the Moles include: the infrastructure within Nautilus City; the development of Bay City; the Linden Homes continent of Bellisseria; facilities for events like Shop & Hop, SLB, etc; the turn-key regions available for businesses, starter avatars, etc; LL-provided experiences and the games accessible via the Portal Parks).
  • In more recent years, the Moles have been supporting other projects and initiatives with Linden Lab (e.g. marketing, etc.), under the broader banner of the Second Life Studios.
Current Situation and Discussion

[Video: 14:23-26:18]

  • Whilst the LDPW Group continues to exist, it has been noticed that several long-term “Moles” have changed their Last Name from Mole to a choice from the generally available pool of Last Names. whilst continuing to be contract workers for LL.
  • This has led to some upset (on account of the lost of a long-standing, recognisable name that is part of Second Life lore) and concern – specifically, how are genuine LDPW contractors to be easily identified?
  • The Official explanation for the changes might be summarised as:
    • Those Moles who have changed their Last Names are still working for Linden Lab as independent contractors and remain within the LDPW Group.
    • Nothing is actually changing inasmuch as the work these contractors do, the powers they have, etc.
    • The reason some are currently retaining the Mole last name is that certain functions and capabilities related to Linden Homes are tied directly to accounts using the Mole Last Name, and have to be updated prior to all LDPW contractors switching to a Last Name of their choice.
    • The overall reasons for the change is to “unify” how LL work with independent contractors, given that the LDPW is no longer the sole group working in partnership with LL where in-world content is concerned who are not defined as “Moles” or otherwise uniquely identified (hence, perhaps, the reminder about the SL Creator Partnership Programme mentioned towards the top of the meeting, even if the relationship here is slightly different in nature).
  • Concerns over identifying genuine LL contractors over those who might be tempted to try to impersonate bring “a Mole” for the sake of griefing / harassment, etc., were raised, together with commentary on the loss of colours, etc., in name tags to help with identification.
    • The issue of name tag colours was somewhat misplaced, as not all viewers do this – it is a feature found within various third-party viewers.
    • It was suggested that verification could be obtained by checking the LDPW Group. Some in the meeting appeared to take this as meaning “checking the Group’s Membership list” (which is not always available for non-Group members in different viewers). HOWEVER, I would suggest Izzy Linden actually meant “Check the Profile of person claiming to be a member of LDPW to see of it lists the LDPW Group”.
    • The latter is a not unreasonable point, given that name tag colours alone cannot be relied upon. However, it a) misses the point that not all clients might be able to open an avatar’s Profile; b) is not as simple or direct as seeing the “Mole” last name directly in-world / in chat or IMs.
  • The meeting saw a lot of back-and-forth, but it would appear that while those Lindens who are user-facing are sympathetic to the concerns raised, the decision has been made at management level.
  • My personal take on this is that as the entire concept of the Moles and LDPW is so ingrained in the substance of Second Life – particularly for many long-term users (take the Bay City Mole Day, an exceptionally popular event in-world) that:
    • A portion (emphasis on portion here) of the reaction is more a typical reaction to changes that appear to upset the accepted status quo within SL, leading to a lot of FUD.
    • Nevertheless (and given the changes were bound to cause upset / concern), LL could have pre-empted a fair portion of it via up-front communications such as a blog post on the changes, outlining the reasons and providing reassurance.

In Brief

  • [Video: 12:30-14:01 and 16:28-16:59] Two Feature requests for the Combat 2.0 system were raised, both intended to improve accessibility for the Combat system:
  • [Video: 1523-15:58] In light of the Zindra Land lottery, it was asked via text if the approach might be used for other Mainland or similar – the response was possibly, if opportunities arise and depending on the final overall assessment of the Zindra lottery, but nothing planned for the foreseeable future.
  • [Video: 30-20-32:44] Requests for Set Home being more widely allowed in various Linden locations – Welcome Areas, for example -, particularly for incoming new users. This was taken on-board.
    • This indirectly led to the suggestion that incoming being given a free Linden Home for their first 30-days in-world, helping them learn about home ownership and land holding in-world.
  • [Video: 33:42-36:35] A discussion on Linden Homes themes being added to, the availability of homes,  completion of coastlines (“when Linden Homes are complete”), etc., led to a suggestion for having an “elastic” continent for Linden Homes – regions only spin-up when they are actively used (thus reducing costs).
    • This is similar to the Kitely grid system, which has both positives and negatives.
    • The idea has been more broadly been discussed at SUG meetings in the past, where the general feedback has been that SL isn’t engineered for this kind of approach.
    • In terms of use with Linden Homes, this would potentially mean that regions would move been simhosts between one use and the next, requiring considerable back-end re-engineering to manage grid coordinates, teleporting, etc.
  • [Video: 37:25-40:30] A request for separating Groups from Land or having a special subset of Groups specifically for Land – make available as a perk for Premium and Premium Plus members.
    • It was noted that there have been internal discussions at LL about offering a more “a-la carte” approach to subscription perks, so that (for example) a Premium Plus subscriber might be able to select more Group spots whilst not taking up some other perk(s), etc.), but nothing along these lines is set for implementation.
    • There was a personal acknowledgement that there are various Group Role abilities which could perhaps be handled more efficiently, potentially reducing the number of Groups business owners, event organisers, etc., have to create to carrying out basic management functions. However, this was an opinion voiced, not a statement of intent from LL.
    • Group functionality is more of a Product team item, but it was noted general Group functionality might be raised at the Simulator User Group (SUG) meetings.
The Motown Experience and Welcome Hub as it appeared on opening in 2023
  • [Video 42:12-52:53] A question from Wendi Linden on “the most intriguing region” those at the meeting would like LL staff to see. This lead to a general discussion with various suggestions, together with a request for the Motown Experience (SLurl here), given that partnership has ended & how it worked as a Welcome Centre, which moved on to a discussion of the newer Learning Centres. This moved to a more general conversation.
  • [Video: 52:58-End] A discussion on the new Anchor Communities programme for new users – see this Corsica South Coasters announcement, given that LL have not been advertising the move (potentially to avoid being swamped with requests to join).

Date of Next Meeting

    • Wednesday, January 27, 2027 – the advertised November and December meetings in the Public Calendar (at the time of writing) will not be held as they clash with US Thanksgiving and with Christmas.

2026 week #44: SUG meeting summary

The Simulator User Group meeting place at Longfellow

The following notes were taken from the Tuesday, October 27, 2026 Simulator User Group (SUG) meeting. These notes form a summary of the items discussed, and are not intended to be a full transcript. A video of the meeting by Pantera is embedded at the end of this summary – my thanks to her for providing it.

Meeting Overview

  • The Simulator User Group (also referred to by its older name of Server User Group) exists to provide an opportunity for discussion about simulator technology, bugs, and feature ideas is held every other Tuesday at 12:00 noon, SLT (holidays, etc., allowing), per the Second Life Public Calendar.
  • The “Leviathan Office Hour” meetings are held on the Tuesdays which do not have a formal SUG meeting, and are chaired by Leviathan Linden. They are more brainstorming / general discussion sessions.
  • Meetings are held in text in-world, at this location.

Simulator Deployments

  • On Tuesday, October 27, the SLS Main channel was restarted without any deployment.
  • On Wednesday, October 28, the Olive simulator update will be deployed to the Breeze and Ferrari RC channels. This update includes:
    • Pepper Linden’s region crossing code improvements for vehicles – these can already be tested on Blake Sea, as the majority of those regions are already a part of the Breeze RC channel, and have been used for initial code testing).
    • The new Group Role ability to define who in a Group can post URL links to Group Chats. However, this will not be enabled until Olive has been fully deployed grid-wide. See below for more.
    • Support for the feature flag required by viewers to be able to safely send the GameControlData UDP message for the new Game_Control capability. Currently, the upcoming  viewer 26.5, (in RC/beta at the time of writing), support Game_Control capabilities, the sending of GameControlData currently must be enabled via Preferences. This will change as Olive moves to being grid-wide.
  • Providing there are no problems with Olive on Ferrari and Breeze, Olive will be deployed to all RC channels in week #45 (commencing Monday, November 2) and then grid-wide with a deployment to the SLS Main channel on Tuesday, November 10).

Updates

Also refer to the video.

New Group Ability to Define Who Can Post Links to Group Chats

Recap plus updates:

  • A new Group Role ability to allow / prevent roles within a Group from posting URL links in Group Chat.
    • Will include a “whitelist” of allowed URLs  – those anyone can post, regardless of whether or not they have the ability to do so – which will comprise trusted domains from LL – such as the Marketplace,  the SL blogs, secondlife.com, etc., and possibly others recognised by LL as well.
  • New: the decision has apparently been taken to have the ability set to allow all roles to post links by default – so Group owners / officers to remove the ability from those roles in their Group they feel should not have it.
  • Filtering of links is handled by the simulator. Messages posted with URL links by those not authorised to do so will see the message go through, but the URL will be redacted.
  • This is part of the on-going work to limit the ability of some to post scam and phishing links to Group chats.

Lua Updates

  • Harold Linden:
    • Has been focused on documentation and internal development tools (lldb and gdb helpers so we can debug crashes and such).
    • He believes that all known bugs are fixed in the _development_ version of the SLua VM.
    • However, he is waiting until some work is done to make simulator performance metrics more usable before deploying it, noting that currently, it is very difficult to track down performance regressions, and he does not want to end up in a situation where people say something’s slow, but we can’t figure out why.
    • He will likely do a server Lua refresh “just to keep things current with Nectarine”, but he is waiting on the performance metrics before doing anything more.
    • He confirmed that there is a crash in Lua memory accounting that specifically affects temporary attachments and which can result in a region crash. However, this issue will be fixed in the next release.
    • The llSetMemoryLimit() issue will be addressed in the next release as well.
  • Requests were made for better communications from LL when the new true release of Lua is made (yet again, LL’s inconsistent approach to communications – will it be Discord? Will it be a blog post? Will it be a forum post? Will it be all of these – or none? – rears its head).

General Updates

  • Rider Linden has been:
    •  Some fixes for EEP validation.
    • [Video: 12:06-12:13] A couple of HTTP fixes and enhancements for LSL llHTTPRequest, per the video, including one to remove the restrictions on the accept headers. He is still validating against RFC 9110, so it will catch bad things and invalid headers, “but the types will be wide open”.
  • Leviathan Linden:
    • Has been working on simulator crash fixes.
    • Also has some game-control bugs, both server and viewer-side, to be fixed.
  • Monty Linden has been focused on PHP2Shell.

General Discussion

Please refer to the video from 38:49-end.

  • It was asked if HTTP/2 is planned for the Asset servers at some point? The response was that whilst not planned, http/2 has been outlined, but the viewer really needs to unpin from the use of libcurl.
  • Further general discussion on Lua, including viewer-side Lua capabilities as implemented in the Cool VL viewer (and outside of LL’s Lua work).
  • User discussion on viewer avatar tag colours – more suited to the Open Source meetings.
  • A question on Voice transcription work – this is on-going (again, updates generally provided through the open Source meetings).
  • Speculation on why some Mole accounts have been changed from a last name of “mole” to “normal” last names (e.g. Oak and Pixel).
  • General discussion on improved region crossings as a result of Pepper Linden’s work.

Date of Next Meetings

  • Leviathan Linden: Tuesday, November 3, 2026.
  • Formal SUG meeting: Tuesday, November 10, 2026.

2026 week #43: SL CCUG meeting summary

Hippotropolis Campsite: venue for CCUG meetings
The following notes were taken from my chat log of the Content Creation User Group (CCUG) meeting of Thursday, October 22, 2026.

Please note that this is not a full transcript of the meeting but a summary of key topics.

Table of Contents

Meeting Purpose

  • The CCUG meeting is for discussion of work related to content creation in Second Life, including current and upcoming LL projects, and encompasses requests or comments from the community, together with related viewer development work.
    • This meeting is generally held on alternate Thursdays at Hippotropolis, in a mix of Voice and text chat.
  • Dates and times of meetings are recorded in the SL Public Calendar.

Official Viewer Status

  • Default viewer 26.4.0.37384746592, October 13:
    • Lua scripting support (on regions with Lua scripting enabled).
    • Improved communication between the Viewer and the newly published Second Life VS Code extension.
    • Offers an experimental Linux viewer build.
    • Includes the latest WebRTC Voice and viewer-maintenance updates.
  • Second Life Chat Modernisation viewer 6.5.0.38448248489, October 16:
    • Seamless integration of IM histories between clients / devices.
    • Camera and Travel improvements.
    • Create an account from within the viewer.
    • LEAP Camera API.
    • Portable viewer storage.
    • And more.

General Viewer Notes

  • Further questions were asked on the new Group Role ability to determine roles able to post links to Group chats. All of this is covered in my week #43 Leviathan Office Hours notes. However, in terms of the questions asked:
    • The server-side support will be part of the upcoming Olive simulator updates (not deployed anywhere on the grid at the time of writing).
    • The ability will require viewer updates and back-end database updates. As such, if these are not available when Olive is deployed, the capability will sit behind a flag and only be available once this work has been completed.
    • It is hoped the viewer work will be included in the 26.5 viewer as it works through RC updates.
  • Graphics Care Package (GCP) viewer: this work is now targeting 2027 Quarter 1 (January-March time), but is still dependent on other priorities.

General Discussions

  • Questions were asked on the recent CVE vulnerabilities and the PHP2Shell vulnerabilities affecting Second Life. No response was offered for discussion other than LL are well aware of the situations and doing what needs to be done.
  • A suggestion to enable folders to have a text pop-up (similar to the thumbnail image capability) allowing creators (and users) to add notes to product delivered by folder (and to their own inventory folders). This also touched on the ability to tag inventory items, etc. These ideas were seen as useful – without an commitment to implement (at least for the foreseeable future).
  • The above broadened into a wider discussion on mesh clothing getting its own inventory icons in a similar manner to those for system layer clothing, providing support for folders within the Contents of prims.
  • A discussion on the feasibility to be able to set a face to use nearest neighbour for a texture, texture sampling, which included the glTF specification covering texture filtering.
  • No work is currently being done for materials bulk uploads, as requested in a previous meeting.
    •  This is outside of the ongoing work related to anti-phishing / scam protect/prevention, as summarised in the viewer notes, above.
  • Requests were made for more prim types / more shaping capabilities for prims (bevels, curves, etc., together with a lamentation for few newer people engaging with in-world building. LL indicated there are no current plans to expand prims in terms of shapes or shaping capabilities, and the lamentations were somewhat countered by the admission that those teaching in-world building techniques finding it hard to interest newer users in building.
  • Geenz Linden left a question for people to consider for a future meeting: given the bar for content creation in SL has got higher, but is it higher or lower when compared to platforms such as VRChat or Unity more generally?

Next Meeting

October 2026 SL Trust and Safety User Group meeting

Linden Estate Services: Trust and Safety User Group meeting place
The following notes were taken from the video of the Trust and Safety meeting held on Tuesday, October 20, 2026, as recorded and provide by Pantera Pólnocy video of the meeting (embedded at the end of this article) – my thanks to her for providing it.

As I am currently unable to attend these meetings in person, the following is an abbreviated summary of the meeting with links to the relevant parts of the video for ease of reference.

Table of Contents

Meeting Purpose

  • The Trust and Safety User Group is to provide a forum to discuss topics relating to safety and security in Second Life. However, please note that for matters of privacy and personal safety, the following will not be openly discussed by members of the team:
    • Reports of abuse, together with the outcome of investigations or actions taken in response; specific account information (including terminations, suspensions, warnings, etc.); DCMA or copyright issues; internal processes; ToS interpretations.
  • The meetings:
    • Are held on the 3rd  Tuesday of the month, at 11:00 SLT.
    • Take place at the Linden Estate Services meeting place.
    • Are a mix of Voice and text chat.
  • Dates and times of meetings are recorded in the SL Public Calendar.
  • For descriptions on all SL user groups and their purpose please refer to SL Official User Groups.

Trust and Safety Blog Posts

  • The Second Life Trust and Safety team shares regular community blog posts to help keep the community informed and educated on various topics. These blogs cover topics such as maintaining strong account security practices, tips and tricks, and helpful how-to guides.
  • All posts can be found within the Trust and Safety Tuesdays section of the Community blogs and are now tagged as such.
  • Those who wish to receive the updates via e-mail can hit the Follow button on the page.

Most Recent Blog Posts

Updates from the Team

  • [Video: 1:19-2:24] Work is still continuing with the in-world Trust and Safety Team offices;  this has been somewhat delayed due to other priorities. Currently, the hope is to have the work finished by December 2026.
    • The current plan is to have a holiday themed meeting/tour at the new office space in December.
Part of the new Trust and Safety Team in-world office spaces

Marketplace Blog Posts Discussion

  • [Video: 9:55-20:00] General notes on the Marketplace blog post noted above, including:
    • Reviewing aim and purposes of the two posts.
    • Reminder that MP product reviews are for reviewing products, not for airing personal grievances.
    • A request was made for a similar blog post for buyer to be made on in-world shopping – seen as a good idea for a future T&S blog post.
    • Questions related to listing management removal of mass listing of of poor-quality AI generated (AIG) content, etc., use of AI generated images for products, etc., were asked but were more questions for the Marketplace team / Web User Group (although there have been internal discussion on the matter of AIG content and use of AI images).
    • Other Web Group specific questions and requests were made and referred more to the Web Group.
    • Melody Linden noted that she (or a member of T&S) will be attending a future Web User Group meeting to discuss overlapping matters.

Scripted Agent/Bot Usage and Policy

[Video: 4:14-9:25]

  • There has been a range of concerns about scripted agent / bot activity within Second Life, which Alabaster Linden attempted to address (in a somewhat circumspect manner).
  • The Lab is looking at matter of policy with regards to the use and operation of bots, including potentially updating the policy, bringing bot usage more into line with policy requirement, identifying scripted agents, etc.
  • These discussions are described as “on-going” and “collaborative” (presumably with bot / bot service creators, etc.), and are aimed at trying to strike a balance to allow bots (and associated services) to be used usefully and preventing the use of bots being abused (e.g. to inflate traffic numbers, to harass, etc.).
  • The hope is that people will start to see “some progress and changes in this area”.
  • There was further general discussion on bots during the open discussion part of the meeting (see below).
  • A blog post is in development on the use and registering of scripted agent (or “registered bot” if you prefer) accounts.
  • It is not clear as to whether this work will involve defining the use of bots for “legitimate” data gathering (e.g. gathering data on grid use, for the production of 3D maps of regions, etc.).

Alt Account Creation  / Abuse

[Video 25:40-28:58]

  • In the first two T&S meetings questions were asked about preventing people creating multiple accounts specifically for the intention to harass (some are known to make multiple accounts per week or even per day).
  • At the times of those meetings it was indicated that the Lab was aware of the issue – and of some of those involved – and steps would be taken to try to address the problem.
  • Alabaster Linden confirmed at this meeting that two new measures – system and monitoring – have been put in place to try to cut down these incidences and make it easier for LL to spot when it is happening. Details as to what they are were not discussed (to prevent people trying to circumvent them).
  • This does not entirely prevent such situations occurring, but it is hoped the changes have diminished the ability of those concerned from being able to mass-create accounts.

General Discussion

[Video: 22:55-end]

  • The new Group Role ability to moderate who can post links to Group chats came up – please see my Leviathan Officer Hour notes from the session immediately after this T&S meeting for the latest on this.
  • Requests on managing Tiny Empire bots crowding-out OpenSpace (open water) regions and thus blocking them from being accessed by those sailing or flying was again raised alongside the general discussions on bot (see above). No definitive answer, other than LL continue to work towards removing unregistered bot accounts.
  • Bot identification: there have been requests to make Scripted Agent accounts (that is, properly registered bot accounts) identifiable in-world (e.g. via a Profile symbol or a colour surround on the Profile + giving them a default dot colour on the viewer maps). Whilst a good idea which should be implemented:
    • It would not make the identification of “bad actor” bots any easier, as these would most likely not be registered as scripted agents.
    • It runs the risk of people determining that “all dots of X colour are bots – and all bots are BAD!” – leading to the potential of stores, etc., being avoided, etc., on account of, “they use a bot, and bots are BAD!” As such, care on implementation and communication needs to be addressed.
    • It was suggested that bots could only be allowed to access Groups if invited by an Owner / Operator – the problem here being – if the bot is not registered as a Scripted Agent, how does the system tell it is a bot simply because it responds to a Group Join request just like any other “normal” account?
  • With regards to Groups and phishing scams:
    • The suggestion was made for a T&S blog post on Group management tips and tricks – this was taken on-board.
    • It was requested that the message people receive when ejected from a Group for causing trouble (such as spamming) should be updated to not include the name of the person doing the banning (e.g. just leave it as “You have been ejected from [Group name]”), so as to prevent instances where the officer / owner doing the ejecting comes under personal attack. This request is being taken back to the Lab for discussion
  • Please refer to the last 15 minute of the video for more general discussions (e.g. OSGrid shutdown, SL Discord server moderation, etc.).

Next Meeting