The following notes were taken from the Tuesday, January 4th, 2022 Simulator User Group (SUG) meeting. The meeting was recorded by Pantera Północy, and the video is embedded at the end of this summary. Note this summary focuses on the key points of the meeting; where there is something to report, the video should be referred to should full details of the meeting wish to be reviewed.
There are no planned server deployments for this week.
Week #2 should see the simulator currently deployed to the RC will by rolled to the Main SLS channel.
This list reflects those viewers available via Linden Lab.
- Release viewer: version version 220.127.116.116335, formerly the Cache+ 360 Capture viewer, dated December 7, promoted December 15 – No change
- Release channel cohorts (please see my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself).
- Project viewers:
- Performance Improvements project viewer version 18.104.22.1686967, dated December 17.
- Performance Floater project viewer, version 22.214.171.1242625, issued September 2.
- Mesh Optimizer project viewer, version 126.96.36.1992614, issued September 1.
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 188.8.131.520519, dated October 26, 2020.
- Copy / Paste viewer, version 184.108.40.2063365, dated December 9, 2019.
- Questions were asked about the “avatar expressiveness” mentioned in the “2021 review” blog post issued by the Lab. Specifically:
- How the system will work given the plethora of mesh heads available, the different brans (and perhaps even different styles within brands) being weighted differently / possibly making use of different bones / sliders.
- How this will be handled without body tracking, in order to avoid head gestures / expressions being mis-matched with AO body animations.
- Will it use a 3rd party facial morph system.
In response, Simon Linden would only note:
Dissecting that slightly, a) there is a camera involved and b) there are gestures and movement involved. You can probably guess / connect that a bit yourself, ’cause I can’t talk more about it … I don’t think you’ll get more info until it’s ready to go out – and it’s not at the present. It’s under development.
There is also the question of how many people actually use cameras with SL – or would be interested in doing so.
- A lot of general chatter about what SL “needs” and “the metaverse”, please refer to the video.