As always, please refer to the server deployment thread for the week, for the latest news and updates.
- On Tuesday, August 7th, the SLS (main) channel was updated with server maintenance package 18#18.07.20.518082, containing the server-side Animesh support, and “logging tweaks”. This release was previously deployed to the LeTigre and Magnum RCs.
- On Wednesday, August 8th:
The SLS (main) channel deployment saw regions off-line for a longer than usual time between being taken down for the simulator code deployment and being brought back up. This was expected. According to the deployment thread, several people saw their regions restarted at least twice; this isn’t the first time this has been reported, and the situation has been referred to the Second Life Ops team.
In week #31 the Quinquina Maintenance RC viewer, version 18.104.22.1687973 and dated July 30th, was promoted to de facto release status on August 3rd.
As a result of this update the RC viewers were updated on Tuesday August 7th, as follows:
- Bugsplat RC viewer: updated to version 22.214.171.1248305.
- SL Voice RC viewer: (originally released on August 1st) updated to version 126.96.36.1998310. This viewer updates SLVoice with new codecs, fixes some problems with selecting audio devices, and other voice related bug fixes. It should be noted that the SLVoice executable in this viewer is not compatible with most older viewers and should not be copied to such viewers.
Also at the end of week #31 the Bakes on Mesh project viewer updated to version 188.8.131.528013, on August 3rd.
At the time of writing, the remaining viewers in the official viewer pipelines are unchanged:
- Project viewers:
- Linux Spur viewer, version 184.108.40.2069906, dated November 17th, 2017 and promoted to release status 29 November – offered pending a Linux version of the Alex Ivy viewer code.
- Obsolete platform viewer, version 220.127.116.110847, May 8th, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
The Environment Enhancement Project (EEP) appears to have had a slight delay…
EEP is moving forward. There was a last-minute hiccup on the back-end and I’m tightening up some last-minute things about parcels specific settings. Rider Linden: I’m eager to get this into people’s hands.
– Rider Linden on EEP progress.
Those unfamiliar with the project, which it to provide parcel and region windlight management, as well as some additional server-side goodies, can find out more in Second Life Windlight environmental enhancements. I also provide update summaries via my Content Creation User Group summaries.
Attachment Limit Increase – Premium Perk?
It’s been indicated in some recent meetings that the Lab is hoping to reach a point where the attachment limit for avatars can be increased (currently set to 38 items). If and when this happens, it might be made a Premium membership perk.
It most likely will only be for Premium. but we’re still not ready to increase it anyway, so it’s still moot. It’s unusual for anything to be “set in stone” until it’s in the past (and not always then), but improving Premium is a major strategic goal for us, so …
Oz Linden, commenting on the attachment limit increase at the Simulator User Group meeting,
Tuesday, August 7th, 2018