As always, please refer to the server deployment thread for the latest information.
- On Tuesday, March 21st, the Main (SLS) channel received receive the same server maintenance package previously deployed to the three RC channels, comprising new internal logging output and changes to increase stability and security
- There is no planned deployment for the RC channels on Wednesday, March 22nd. As all three were restarted as a part of the week #11 deployment, they will not be restarted.
Maintenance RC Viewer
A new Maintenance RC viewer, version 126.96.36.1994646 was released on Thursday March 16th. This update includes a range of bug fixes (please refer to the release notes) and improvements as per my overview of the release. However, the updates to Avatar Complexity recorded in the release note appear to be absent the viewer / not working correctly. There are:
- “We will now remember your choices of whether to render or not render certain avatars. You can set this by right-clicking on someone in-world and choosing Render avatar -> Default / Always / Never” – avatars still revert to Render Normally following a re-log
- Your selections can be seen (and changed) in Preferences -> Graphics -> “Exceptions…” (under) Maximum Complexity – this “Exceptions” option does not appear to be in the viewer
- We’ve also added a setting to always render your friends, regardless of complexity – also does not appear to be in the viewer.
A bug report has been filed on this.
Voice RC Viewer
The new Voice release candidate viewer, version 188.8.131.524770, arrived on Monday, March 20th. This viewer offers a number of improvements to voice:
- Fixes the apparent position of voices in local voice
- Improves retry behaviour when there are problems connecting or during temporary connection problems
- Logs more detailed information to the Lab for quantifying connection issues
- Improves security of the communication between the viewer and SLVoice
Alex Ivy 64-bit Viewer
The 64-bit viewer for Windows and Mac was updated to version on Friday, March 17th. This update should include the following:
- An open-source wrapper for CEF called Dullahan (link for those who are curious about the etymology of Lab project names) which will replace llCEF, making it easier to render web content through the viewer
- The same versions of Dullahan / CEF and libVLC (audio handling) on both the Windows and Mac builds.
In addition, the 64-bit Mac build now uses MacOS Sierra, and will be backwards compatible as far as OSX 10.9 (Xcode 8). The 64-bit Windows build still uses Visual Studio 2013, and will support Windows 10, 8 and 7. Vista support is TBC.
New Simulator Build
DRTSIM-323 is the channel on Aditi (the beta grid) which is carrying the a new version of the simulator code using the Lab’s latest build of the server operating system. In includes the regions: Fire Ants, Bug Island and Mauve (again, these are on the beta grid).
HTTP Asset Fetching
This is another project on Aditi only at present. As previously noted, it will eventually see the move of the remaining Second Life inventory assets – landmarks, gestures, animations, shapes, sounds and wearables (system layer clothing and body shapes) – to delivery over HTTP and via the Content Delivery Network(s), rather than via UDP through the simulator. Testing is still progressing, and an initially project viewer repository has been offered, but is not currently listed in the Alternate viewer page, as the server-side of the new code is only available on Aditi, as noted.
If you want to test the new capabilities (uploading new assets – particularly sounds and animations and then running them – you can obtain the project viewer (for the time being) from the Server Beta Group meeting agenda page on the SL wiki. Note the links are liable to vanish as the agenda page is updated, and that this viewer will only currently work in testing the new fetching capabilities when logged-in to Aditi.
- A new feature that aims to improve landowner experience and help premium members in also in the early stages of testing. no details as yet on what it is, but it has previously been hinted at in recent TPV Developer meetings. More details to come, as they become available
- There is a general capabilities failure issue which can occur when connecting to region on on Aditi, which prevents users entering the region. It is under investigation, but JIRA reports if you persistent encounter the problem in respect of one more more regions on Aditi would be welcomed.