Server Deployments – Recap
- On Tuesday, February 7th, the Main (SLS) channel received the same server maintenance package a deployed to the three RC channel in week #5.
- There was no planned deployment to the three RC channels for the week.
Love Me Render
On Thursday, February 9th, the Lab released the first of the new branch of release candidate viewers focusing entirely on fixes an improvements for the viewer’s rendering system. To distinguish it from the current Maintenance RC viewer, the rendering RC has been called (for this release, at least) Love Me Render.
Version 18.104.22.1683361 comprises a handful of updates – but as the Lab notes, changes to the viewer’s rendering system can be a little scary, and things can easily go wrong, so huge lists of updates for this type of viewer may not be common. This first round of updates comprises:
- An improvement to mesh LOD calculation (account for CTRL+0).
- A fix for a mesh avatar deformation issue, which was due to bounding box / LOD swaps.
- A fix for the issue where some mesh becomes invisible when camming. This was due to an earlier fix for another issue (non-public JIRA ).
- A fix for the bug where setting one avatar to Do Not Render (right-click avatar context menu) caused all avatars to become imposters.
The last item above is related to the Avatar Complexity code, which gets which also gets what might be the most important change in terms of rendering / performance. With this viewer, agents (avatars) which are rendered as “Jelly Dolls” should now have any attachments they are wearing render at 0 LOD.
This change is designed to prevent attachments with high render LOD from being loaded into memory, thus further deterring worn graphics crashers. Note that in order for this improvement to work, you must leave the debug setting RenderAutoMuteByteLimit at its default of 0.
The rest of the official viewers list remains as per the start of the week:
- Current Release version: 22.214.171.1243027, dated January 25, promoted February 3 – formerly the Maintenance RC viewer.
- RC viewers:
- Maintenance RC viewer, version 126.96.36.1993359 released on February 3 – new features, improvements and bug fixes
- Project viewers:
- Obsolete platform viewer version 188.8.131.520847 dated May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
Where Is Everybody?
Regular attendees of in-world meetings cannot help but have noticed that the majority of meetings this week were cancelled, mostly due to scheduling conflicts with internal meetings at the Lab. Normal service resumes in week #7 (commencing Monday, February 13th). As the cancellations for this week included the TPVD meeting for this week, this will also now take place on Friday, February 17th, 2017.