As always, please refer to the server deployment thread for the latest information.
- There was not deployment to the Main (SLS) channel on Tuesday, June 21st.
- On Wednesday, June 20th, the three RC channels should be updated with the same new server maintenance package, comprising minor internal changes and Tool Tip/Constant text fixes.
There have been no updates to the Lab’s viewers so far this week, leaving the list currently as:
- Current Release version: 220.127.116.115117 (dated May 11), May 18 – formerly the Quick Graphics RC viewer
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
- Project VLC Media Plugin viewer, version 18.104.22.1686258, dated June 15th – replaces the QuickTime media plugin for the Windows viewer with one based on LibVLC
- Visual Outfit Browser viewer, version 22.214.171.1246123, dated June 6th – ability to preview images of outfits in the Appearance floater
- Project Bento (avatar skeleton extensions), version 126.96.36.1996366, dated June 10th – bug fixes
- Oculus Rift project viewer, version 188.8.131.525296, dated on October 13, 2014 – Oculus Rift DK2 support
- Obsolete platform viewer, version 184.108.40.2060847 dated May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
In terms of the Oculus Rift viewer, speaking at the SL13B Meet the Lindens event on Tuesday, June 21st, Ebbe Altberg indicated that he’s been invited to a demonstration of the updated viewer. This doesn’t necessarily mean the viewer will be updated in the Oculus project channel immediately, but it might be taken as a sign of the continuing progress with the viewer.
Utility Server Maintenance
There will be further maintenance on a cluster of the Lab’s utility servers on Wednesday June 22nd, at 01:00 SLT. During this time:
- Residents served by the cluster may be logged off of Second Life, and unable to relog until the maintenance is complete
- Resident groups served by the cluster may be unable to send messages or initiate group chats during the maintenance.
Users are advised to monitor the Lab’s Grid Status Twitter feed at @SLGridStatus. This is reportedly the last phase of current Utility Server Maintenance work, with previous phases occurring on June 17th and June 21st. While it is only speculation on my part, I suspect this work might be in connection with the core database cluster issues experienced on Friday, June 10th.
CTRLALTStudio Withdraws from Third Party Viewer Directory
The Oculus Rift supporting CtrlAltStudio viewer has withdrawn from the Second Life Third-Party Viewer Directory following an announcement by its developer, Strachan OFarrel (aka David Rowe), in which he states that while the viewer remains available for download, it is no longer being maintained.
Many thanks to Dave for his work in developing CtrlAltStudio and for his ongoing work with High Fidelity.