Gates of Memories – blog post
As always, check the server deployment thread for the latest updates.
On Tuesday, January 26th, the Main (SLS) channel received the server maintenance package, 16.01.16.310114, previously deployed to the three RC channels. This comprises:
- A simulator crash fix
- A further feature request: llGetObjectDetails() functionality to get the parent_id of any task in the region (OBJECT_REZZER_KEY).
OBJECT_REZZER_KEY returns the parent_id of any task in the region. If the object came from an object rezzer it returns the ID of the parent object, while If it was rezzed by an avatar, it returns the agent ID of the avatar. The function only works for those objects rezzed in-world after the code deployment (objects in-world prior to deployment will return NULL_KEY).
On Wednesday, January 27th, the three RC channels should all receive a new server maintenance package,16.01.21.310177, comprising:
- Internal simulator fixes
- A fix for llSetPos in root prim of attachment behaves differently at high altitudes – viewer does not show updates”, which can cause attachments to fail to update correctly at altitudes over approximately 1500 metres. “LSL
“FWIW, we’re likely to slow down on server updates in the next couple of weeks,” Simon Linden informed those attending the Simulator User Group meeting on Tuesday, January 26th. “It’s not part of any evil plan, but I’m doing some internal maintenance work and travelling one week.”
How this plays out remains to be seen, but we should at least have one deployment to the Main (SLS) channel in week #5 (week commencing Monday, February 1st), assuming no issues are found, with the promotion of the this week’s RC deployment to that channel.
no updates for the start of the week, with the current crop of viewers remaining:
- Current Release version: 184.108.40.2060054, January 15 – formerly the Maintenance RC viewer download page, release notes
- Release channel cohorts (please see my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- Project viewers:
- Obsolete platform viewer (Windows XP and OSX versions below 10.7), version 220.127.116.110847 dated May 8th, 2015.
Greater Local Region Control
A bug which has been getting repeated requests for attention, particularly by those engaged in SL combat activities, is BUG-8974, “Temp rez object are not rezzed in a timely manner”. It’s also one which hasn’t seem to be working its way to the top of the pile of things to be done. During the Simulator User Group Meeting, Simon expanded on one of these reasons this is the case:
“As I remember, it’s tied up with a larger idea: letting region owners pick different settings for the region based on the performance and safety you want. Part of the problem is due to a throttle which was added for anti-griefing. So if you want temp rezzing faster, you might want that [throttle] looser, while a venue owner would definitely not want that [the throttle looser, due to the risk of griefing]. I can’t make promises but I hope to get to it soon. It’s still on my list.”