The RFL SL organisers have announced the themes to accompany this year’s laps of the track for the RFL Relay Weekend. Entirely optional (although everyone is encouraged to join in), the themes are a way of adding a little fun and amusement to the walks.
To help spread the word, I’m listing the full set of themes here, including the Celebrate, Remember and Fight Back laps. Note that all times are SLT, and remember the Relay Weekend starts at 10:00 SLT on Saturday July 14th with a special Opening Ceremony.
11:00-12:30 Saturday July 14th -*CELEBRATE* Survivor/Caregiver Honour Walk: Please line the track and honour all those who have heard the words, “You have cancer”, as they walk the track in this opening lap. Salute the caregivers who care for and support their loved ones and their friends in their fight. Cheer them all on as they walk by!
- 12:30-14:00 – Team Spirit Lap: Wear your team shirts, wave your flags and raise your banners and walk the track with pride for all you have done to help find a cure for cancer
- 14:00-15:00 – Silly Hats/Big Hair: The name says it all! Get out your silliest hats and / or most outlandish hair – or both!
- 15:00-16:00 – The First Timer Lap: To pay homage to all those who have recently joined SL, dig out a default avatar from the Library in your inventory and wear it for this lap of the track (for extra authenticity, turn off your AO as well!)
- 16:00-17:00 – Animal Kingdom: Saluting the breedable companies in SL who give support to RFL SL. Dress up as an animal, wear a t-shirt that acknowledges your favorite breedable or even take your pet for a shoulder ride around the track!
- 17:00-18:00 – Cruisin’ Western Style: Dust off yer western gear an’ mosey on ’round the track to the sounds of great country western music
- 18:00-19:00 – Blast from the Past: Step back in time and dress the style from your favourite decade/trends – or even the decade of your birth
- 19:00-20:00 – Musicians For Relay: Salute the SL musicians who do so much for RFL SL; wear a t-shirt honouring your favourite musician – or come as a musician yourself!
- 20:00-21:00 – Favourite Holiday: Be your favourite holiday or something that represents it – a Christmas Tree or Easter Bunny – or just wear a holiday sweater!
- 21:00-22:00 – *REMEMBER* Luminaria Ceremony: A time of quiet reflection and remembrance of those who have lost their battle with cancer and to support and uphold those who still fight it. Walk the track in silence and listen to inspirational music and readings
- 22:00-23:00 – Fancy Footwear: Those boots / heels / roller skates / flippers / bunny slippers were made for walkin’ in – dress your feet and run the track!
- 23:00-00:00 – Fantasy Hour: Be a character from fantasy, fable or fiction; be a pirate or a fairy, a Klingon or a Vorlon, and elf or an orc; let the track witness tinies, petites, mermaids, dragons, medieval lords and ladies….
- 00:00-01:00 Sunday July 15th – Midnight Masquerade: Wear a Mask and costume and join the carnival like festivity hour
- 01:00-02:00 -The Power of Purple: Wear as much purple as you can. ..skin, hair, eyes, clothing, .. just bring on the purple!
- 02:00-03:00 – Monster Mash: Were you working in lab, last last night? Come as a vampire, Frankenstein, Sasquatch, Godzilla – reveal the monster in YOU!
- 03:00-04:00 – Super Heroes: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No – it’s you! Come as your favourite super hero/ine
- 04:00-05:00 – Sports Mania: Celebrate the sport you love, as a player, a cheerleader, whatever you like!
- 05:00-06:00 – Up All Night: Curlers, Coffee, PJ’s & Slippers – Curlers, Coffee, PJ’s & Slippers – time to wake up and smell the coffee
- 06:00-07:00 – *FIGHT BACK* Fight Back Ceremony: Pick up your specially made RFL HOPE Cape and Fight Back Flags – available at the Relay Stations, and join us as we make our fight back pledges to save a life this year – your own, a friends, a family member, or someone you don’t even know yet. Together we all can FIGHT BACK.
- 07:00-08:00 – International Lap: Wear your national flag (provided by the International Committee) or an outfit that represent your country. Adorn yourself in your country’s colours!
- 08:00-09:00 – Caring & Curing: A time to pay tribute to doctors, nurses, police, firemen or many others. So many who dedicate their lives to saving and helping fellow mankind
- 09:00-10:00 – Formal Hour: Wear your best formal attire as you walk the final lap before the Closing Ceremonies.