The following notes were taken from the Tuesday, July 6th, 2021 Simulator User Group (SUG) meeting. The meeting was recorded by Pantera Północy, and the video is embedded at the end of this summary.
See the server deployment thread for any most recent updates / changes.
- Tuesday, July 6th saw the SL Main channel servers updated with simulator release 560819. This includes internal fixes, a fix for BUG-202864 – “Change Mesh Uploader to preserve Scene File object names when a full linkset is uploaded”. and a fix for BUG230881 – “llHttpRequest(): HTTP_CUSTOM_HEADER flag is ignored”.
- Wednesday, July 7th will not see any planned deployment to the RC channels.
There have been no official viewer updates to mark the start of the week, leaving the official pipelines as:
- Release viewer: Project UI RC viewer, version 22.214.171.1240520, dated June 14, promoted June 23 – No change.
- Release channel cohorts:
- Fernet Maintenance RC, version 126.96.36.1990398, dated June 22.
- Project viewers:
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 188.8.131.520519, dated October 26.
- Copy / Paste viewer, version 184.108.40.2063365, dated December 9, 2019.
- Project Muscadine (Animesh follow-on) project viewer, version 220.127.116.112999, dated November 22, 2019.
- 360 Snapshot project viewer, version 18.104.22.1689111, dated July 16, 2019.
During region crossings, vehicles and avatars are packaged and transferred separately to one another, before being unpacked and put back together by the receiving region. Due to the fact that vehicles are generally less complex than avatars, then tend to arrive first, and this can cause issues as the scripts on the vehicle resume and make calls (animations, etc.), on avatars that have yet to “arrive”, which can result in vehicle errors.
While there is an event flag – CHANGED_REGION – triggered when the vehicle has correctly arrived in the new region, allowing its scripts to resume, there is no equivalent flag for arriving avatars. So user Animats has suggested the creation of such an additional event flag: CHANGED_REGION_COMPLETE.
This would be sent once the receiving simulator has unpacked and seated the avatars using the vehicle. Should this additional event flag not be received, then it is indicative that something has gone wrong, allowing vehicle scripters to use it to determine how they’d like to handle the situation.
See BUG-230934 “Add event bit flag CHANGED_REGION_COMPLETE to “changed” script event” for more.
It has also been suggested that LL give thought to a way in which vehicles can detect upcoming parcel settings. A major issue of vehicular travel is encountering parcels where object entry is disabled – resulting in the vehicle being auto-returned to the owner and all those aboard violently unseated.
A means for the viewer to be forewarned of the access settings for a parcel would potentially allow vehicles to be scripted so they can respond to “unfriendly” parcel such as stopping at the parcel border (presumably with a test notification to the driver) in a similar manner to when they encounter ban lines, thus potentially preventing vehicle return and avatar dumping.
There are again complexities to this idea (e.g. what happens when the parcel(s) being checked are in the next region, and thus on a different simulator to the one the checking script is currently running on?). However, LL have requested the idea be filed via Jira to allow proper assessment and discussion.