The following notes were taken at the Simulator User Group meeting held on Tuesday, February 25th.
As always, please refer to the week’s deployment thread for updates.
- The SLS (main) channel servers were updated with simulator update 2020-02-14T20:17:32.536748. It’s not clear on what this update contains, as the release notes generation process is currently broken.
- A “large load” of RC simulators are planned to be updated on Wednesday, February 26th. However, at the time of writing, the status of the release was in the air due to some last minuted investigations to determine if the updates are fit for purpose.
At the time of writing, the official viewer pipelines remain unchanged from the end of week #8:
- Current Release version 126.96.36.1995996, formerly the Yorsh Maintenance RC, dated February 7, promoted February 20 – NEW.
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
- Copy / Paste viewer, version 188.8.131.523365, December 9, 2019.
- Project Muscadine (Animesh follow-on) project viewer, version 184.108.40.2062999, November 22, 2019.
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 220.127.116.110836, September 17, 2019. Covers the re-integration of Viewer Profiles.
- 360 Snapshot project viewer, version 18.104.22.1689111, July 16, 2019.
Sansar and Second Life
While Sansar and SL are very different platforms based on different technology and capabilities, it has often been asked if / whether capabilities found in Sansar might be ported / developed for Second Life.
As a result of the recent decisions at the Lab to cease development work on Sansar, lay off staff and considered options (see: Sansar: lay-offs, rumours, and confusion and Lab seeking a “plan B” to secure Sansar’s future), these questions have been raised again, including at the Simulator User Group meeting, where Simon Linden responded:
We are going to take a look at Sansar tech and see what might be brought into SL but that’s a long-term project … nothing at all has been decided.
Whether this means the upcoming long-term graphics / rendering project mentioned in the February 21st Lab Gab session with Ebbe and Grumpity Linden (see Lab Gab: Second Life in 2020 with Ebbe and Grumpity (and Keira!) ) might look towards poking at the Sansar render engine for ideas or not remains to be seen. However, a recurring request that has cropped up vis. Sansar capabilities and SL has been the potential for a similar level of Marvelous Designer™ cloth simulation to be added to SL – although it’s unlikely this could be done without some headaches.
However, as Simon notes, any project related to what might be adopted from Sansar for Second Life is a long term thing, and LL has enough on its plate vis cloud uplift, etc.