Fantasy Faire, the largest fantasy-related event to take place in Second Life, opens its portals on Thursday, April 19th and runs through until Sunday, April 29th, 2018 inclusive. It will bring together everyone with a love of fantasy – enthusiasts, creators, performers and designers – for eleven days of commerce, special events, live music concerts and more, all to help raise funds for Relay for Life of Second Life.
This year is special for Fantasy Faire, as it marks the tenth anniversary of the event, so there is a lot that’s being planned, you can be sure!
The Regions Announced
For 2018, Fantasy Faire will feature 15 regions for shopping and events, as announced on Sunday, March 18th, and which I’ve summarised below.
Merchant / Shopping Regions
- Aetherea (Alia Baroque) – “beyond a touch and within reach… a dance of whisps and a vision for an ascended eternal space of time and spirituality…”
- Athenaeum Arcana (Beq Janus) – “legends tell of a grand library, hidden between our worlds; of archivists and adventurers dedicated to saving the stories that we weave…”
- The Bazaar Dungeon (Loki Eliot) – “an ancient Elven prison, once filled with shifting walls to trap the incarcerated, now breached, opened and re-purposed for trade.”
- Erstwhile (Marcus Inkpen/Sharni Azalee) – “a skyport in the bowl of an enormous crater, wrought from a technology so advanced that it will forever seem ancient…“
- Falls of Hope (Sweetgwendoline Bailey/Eldowyn Inshan) – “cliffs rise high above, with bridges to provide a path for travellers between the caves that have been adopted by intrepid traders…”
- Pools of Ethuil (Searlait Nitschke) – “nestled among the highest branches of spring trees, the southern Elves make their home above watery lowlands…”
- Sanoria (Chic Aeon) – “ruins, seemingly deserted, still hold echoes of their essence and when the Southern winds call pilgrims come…”
- Severina (Lokii Violet) – “from the mists, the village peeks from beneath it’s blanketing shadow, spires that reach to the heavens for salvation that never comes…”
- Tiny Town (Kayle Matzerath) – “Welcome to Tiny Town! Tiny Capital since the dawn of tiny time! All the Waffles you eat came from here…”
- The Willow of Nienna (Kilik Lekvoda) – “Willows weep into the waters of time poured out by Nienna, the Lady of Compassion…”
The Events Regions
- Fairelands Junction (Saiyge Lotus) – Main Arrival Area & Memorial Garden.
- Ardessa (Éclair Martinek) – The Fairelands Quest.
- Astrid’s Nemeton (Lrriven) – The RFL One Team & Second Performance Stage.
- The Halls of Story (Elicio Ember) – Literary Festival, “Live at the FaireChylde” dance parties and Worldling Collection 2018.
- The Story Well (Haveit Neox & Lilia Artis) – Main Performance Stage & Fantasy Faire Art Gallery.
Dawn’s Promise, Fantasy Faire 2017
Blogger Applications Open
On Monday, March 19th, 2018, applications to be a 2018 Fantasy Faire blogger opened, with the announcement reading in part:
Blogging the Faire can take many forms, just as the Fairelands do … All I ask, all that the Fairelands ask is that you act as their Herald, as their Chronicler. Spread the word far and wide, enjoy the Faire Life and choose your style of blogging as it best befits you. Come join us in this tenth Fantasy Faire, come celebrate the whole decade of imagination.
If you would like to chronicle the Faire, make sure you complete the blogger application form BUT! – don’t hurry there right away; as with past Fantasy Faires, there are a few little extra things to consider!
As with recent years, bloggers are additionally invited to participate in one or more challenges. These are not obligatory, and anyone – official blogger or otherwise – is free to participate in them. They are:
- Faire Folk – create a Fairelands character based on one of the Faireland region themes, and bring that character to life through photography and / or writing
- My New Shiny – merchant-focused blogging from a personal perspective.
- I Remember – write about your favourite Fairelands of the past.
- Faire Life – get involved in a Faire event – roleplay, literary workshop, attending a dance or other performance – and write about it.
- Why I Relay – share a personal reason why you Relay.
Those applying to be an official blogger at this year’s faire can also apply to write for the official Fantasy Faire website. This has no influence on the actual blogger selection for the Faire, and should be filled only if you are truly interested.
So, if you are interested, make sure you check-out all the information for bloggers and that you complete the application form.
One thought on “Fantasy Faire 2018: 10 years, 15 regions, + a call to bloggers”
While these Faires are fun and they showcase nifty new products, they are also swamps of lag (been there, felt that). I’ll still go, but most of the magic will be lost to 12 fps layer of lag with a draw distance of 80. Why does this happen, since one negative impression can sour a potential customer for close to a year? Yes, Linden Labs’ new simulation programs reduce lag tremendously – but it’s still there. Why the vendors let this happen is a mystery.
Comments are closed.