As always, please refer to the server deployment thread for the latest news and updates.
- On Tuesday, December 12th, the Main (SLS) channel was updated with the server maintenance package previously deployed to all three RC channels. 17#17.12.01.511131 comprises “internal improvements”, which should not result in visible changes for users.
- No deployment is anticipated for the the RC channels on Wednesday, December 13th, leaving them on server package 17#17.12.01.51131. A potential deployment to the BlueSteel RC was cancelled, “I found a nasty little bug nest late last night,” Mazidox Linden reported at the Simulator User Group meeting, “Had to halt the move to RC.”
Two viewers were updated by Linden Lab on Monday, December 11th, 2017:
- The Alex Ivy 64-bit RC viewer updated to version 188.8.131.521248.
- The Animesh project viewer updated to version 184.108.40.2060058.
The Alex Ivy RC viewer release notes contain the following information, worth reproducing here:
Windows: there are now separate 32-bit and 64-bit builds for Windows.
- If you use an HD 2000 or 3000 series video card on Windows 10, choose 32 bit
- Otherwise, choose the one that matches your copy of Windows
If your computer can run 64bit, and most can, you will get better performance and fewer crashes running a 64 bit Windows and Viewer. If you chose the wrong one, the viewer will upgrade you again the first time you run it to the correct one (if you think it made the wrong choice, please file a bug in jira). This build further refines the determination of what is “the best” platform for your system.
Mac: the Mac build does not support 32-bit Macs (this is permanent, and not really a change since it’s been some time since LL supported OS X versions that would still run on a 32-bit system).
- This build shows two icons on the Dock when running. The first one is a new launcher/monitor process (SL_Launcher) that checks for updates; the second is the viewer itself, but both are labelled “Second Life Viewer”. If you are going to pin the icon on the Dock, pin the first one or you’ll get a warning each time you launch. We hope/plan to get this sorted out so that only one shows.
- Video media (QuickTime) usually does not play (the media handling is now the same as the Windows viewer).
- The volume of web based media (e.g. YouTube) doesn’t change based on your distance from the source.
Linux: there is no Linux viewer yet. We hope to begin work on addressing this with the community after the release of the Mac and Windows versions.
The release notes for the Animesh project viewer include a summary of the key changes from the previous version of the viewer:
- Animesh objects should now display correctly as impostors, using the same rules that avatars do currently.
- Fix for a crash triggered by unchecking the animated mesh check box for an Animesh attachment.
- Fix for Animesh attachment getting removed after teleport.
- Fix for some of the cases where animesh graphics state could get corrupted.
- Various clean-ups and optimisations.
The rest of the SL viewer pipeline remains as per the end of week #49:
- Current Release version 220.127.116.119906, dated November 17, promoted November 29th – formerly the “Martini” Maintenance RC
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
- Obsolete platform viewer version 18.104.22.1680847, dated May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.