On Monday, July 18th, I received a notice from Jessii2009 Warrhol announcing the launch of the second season of fund-raising by Team Diabetes of Second Life.
According to the World Health Organisation some 422 million adults in the world have diabetes and 1.5 million deaths are directly attributed to diabetes each year. Founded in 2015 by Jessi and John Brianna (Johannes1977 Resident), Team Diabetes of Second Life is the official and authorised team of the American Diabetes Association in SL. Their mission is to raise awareness, tolerance, and funds for diabetes in the virtual world of Second Life.
The 2016 Team Diabetes of Second life season will run from October 2016 through to January 2017, and feature the following events:
- October 13th though 31st: Scare Me Silly Shopping Event (off-season event)
- November 1st through 30th: National Diabetes Month, featuring:
- November 1st through 30th: The Red Hunt
- Date TBC: The Red Ball
- Dates TBC: The Red Hop Around Shopping Event
- Dates TBC: The Edge Anniversary Events
- December 8th through 18th: The Windlight Winter Art Show and Winter Merchant Showcase
- January 2017:
- The Tour de Second Life bike race (dates TBD)
- Closing events
In addition to these core events, Team Diabetes of Second Life is reaching out to communities, groups, businesses, organisations and individuals to hold fund-raising events of their own in support of the American Diabetes Association. To help with this, the team will be making a fund-raising tool kit available from August 1st, 2016, which will be available from their in-world office at Non-Profit Commons.
About the American Diabetes Association
Established in 1940, the American Diabetes Association is working to both prevent and cure diabetes in all it forms, and to help improve the lives of all those affected by diabetes. It does this by providing objective and credible information and resources about diabetes to communities, and funding research into ways and means of both managing and curing the illness. In addition, the Association gives voice to those denied their rights as a consequence of being affected by diabetes.
About Team Diabetes of Second life
Team Diabetes of Second Life is an official and authorised fund-raiser for the American Diabetes Association in Second Life. Established with the aim of raising funds in support of diabetes treatment and to raise awareness of the disease in SL, Team Diabetes of Second Life was founded by Jessi2009 Warrhol and John Brianna (Johannes1977 Resident), and is served by an advisory board comprising Eleseren Brianna, Veruca Tammas, Sandie Loxingly, Rob Fenwitch, Earth Nirvana and Dawnbeam Dreamscape, with Saiyge Lotus serving as a special advisor.
- Team Diabetes of Second life website
- American Diabetes Association website
- Official Team Diabetes of SL American Diabetes Association Online Page
- International Diabetes Federation website