On Saturday, June 26th, the Alchemy team announced the official release of Alchemy 126.96.36.199571, which essentially moves the recent Beta releases to release status, together with some tweaks and tucks.
As Alchemy beta users will know, 4.0.0 brings Alchemy up to parity with the Lab’s 4.0.0 code base, and also adds some upstream fixes from 4.0.1. This means the viewer includes the Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) for media handling.
Given I have provided a couple of overviews for the February and April beta releases of the viewer, the following is a quick bullet-point list of major updates in the viewer:
- Client-side AO (see my April Beta release overview)
- Automatic update capability (matching the official viewer update capability) – Preferences > Setup
- Enhanced environmental tools
- In a change introduced on the April Beta, the local chat bar (see my February Beta release overview) no longer has a chat check-box to activate the option (Preferences > Chat). Instead, the chat bar will open automatically if your mouse focus is in-world (e.g. not already focused on the conversation floater or another floater) and Preferences > General > Pressing Letter Keys is set to Starts Local Chat.
At the time of writing, the full release notes were reported as “will be generated soon”, so users are referred to the Alchemy web site for these and a detailed breakdown of updates.
- Alchemy website
- Alchemy 188.8.131.52571 release announcement
- Alchemy downloads page
- Alchemy in this blog