The Grand Finale of the University of Western Australia’s Transcending Borders 3D art and machinima challenge will take place on Sunday, December 14th, 2014 – and you can be a part of the audience.
The event will be held at the UWA-BOSL Grand Amphitheatre, starting at 06:00 SLT on Sunday, December 14th, when the winners, as determined by the judges, in both the 3D art and the machinima categories will be announced, and where all 39 machinima entries will be shown continuously in the 24 hours leading up to the event.
The challenge presented by Transcending Borders has been for entrants to interpret the title of the competition in any fashion they deem applicable, and produce a 3D artwork (in no more than 150 prims) or short film based on their interpretation. So the title might be seen as transcending borders between space and time, or the past and present or the present and future; it might be interpreted as divisions between dimensions, real and virtual; or borders separating nations or cultures or languages; it might even combine several of or all such idea, or something else entirely – such as the many borders we encounter as we navigate our physical and virtual lives.
And there is a total prize pool of L$115,000 (L$57,500 in each of the two categories) on offer to those members of the audience who participate in a special additional competition.
All you have to do is visit the art exhibits on display at the UWA gallery area and / or watch the machinima entries and then submit a list of the entries you think will finish in the TOP 10 in order 1st – 10th as decided by the official judging panel.
- Entries should be submitted by e-mail to jayjayaustralia-at-hotmail.com or via note card submitted to Jayjay Zifanwe in-world
- All entries should include your name, and be titled either “Transcending Borders 3D Art Audience Event” or “MachinimUWA VII Audience Event”, according to the category being entered
- You can enter the art participation event or the machinima participation event or both (make sure you submit one “top ten” list for each category in the case of the latter).
The 5 participants in each category whose list comes closest to the final order decided by the judging panel, will win for themselves between L$20,000 – L$5,000. In addition, the first prize winner will also be invited to be on the panel for the next grand art challenge and ALL 5 will receive in the mail a special RL pack.
Simply follow the links above or at the end of this article to view the art entries and watch the films. Entries for both of the audience participation events should be received no later than Midnight SLT on Wednesday, December 3rd, 2014.
Remember, this is not a popularity vote. Your top 10 entry / entries should be your prediction of who the actual top 10 will be according to the official judging panel. Good luck to all those who enter – and I’ll see you at the Grand Finale event!
- UWA Art Gallery SLurl
- Transcending Borders 3D art entries with direct SLurls & audience participation notes
- Transcending Borders MachinimUWA VII entires with links & audience participation notes
- SL Artist.com UWA MachimmUWA pages
- UWA-BOSL Grand Amphitheatre landing points: Entrance 1; Entrance 2; Entrance 3.
Note: the art image included in this item should not be taken as any indication of my personal preference as a member of the Transcending Borders jury. It is included purely for the purposes of illustrating the article.