Friday, October 31st marked the closing date for submission to this year’s combined 5th University of Western Australia’s (UWA) Grand Art Challenge and MachinimUWA VII challenge. In all, there have been 105 entries – 67 pieces of art and 38 machinima films.
The challenge presented by Transcending Borders has been for entrants to interpret the title of the competition in any fashion they deem applicable, and produce a 3D artwork or film based on their interpretation. So the title might be seen as transcending borders between space and time, or the past and present or the present and future; it might be interpreted as divisions between dimensions, real and virtual; or borders separating nations or cultures or languages; it might even combine several of or all such idea, or something else entirely – such as the many borders we encounter as we navigate our physical and virtual lives.
Now, with the closing date reached, the task of judging the entries begins, and with it the opportunity for all residents in Second Life to share in the prizes on offer as a part of the Transcending Borders challenge. On offer are two prize pools, totalling L$57,500 apiece, one for the Machinima challenge, the other for the art challenge.
All you have to do is visit the art exhibits on display at the UWA gallery area and / or watch the machinima entries and then submit a list of the entries you think will finish in the TOP 10 in order 1st – 10th as decided by the official judging panel.
- Entries should be submitted by e-mail to jayjayaustralia-at-hotmail.com or via note card submitted to Jayjay Zifanwe in-world
- All entries should include your name, and be titled either “Transcending Borders 3D Art Audience Event” or “MachinimUWA VII Audience Event”, according to the category being entered
- You can enter the art participation event or the machinima participation event or both (make sure you submit one “top ten” list for each category in the case of the latter).
Each category (art and machinima) offers a total of five prizes, which will be awarded to those entrants whose lists come closest to the final order decided by the judging panel:
- 1st Prize L$ 20,000 + an invitation to be on the panel for the next grand art challenge
- 2nd Prize L$ 15,000
- 3rd Prize L$ 10,000
- 4th Prize L$ 7,500
- 5th Prize L$ 5,000
(A total of L$57,500 in each category.)
In addition, the five winners in both categories will receive a special RL prize pack.
Entries for both of the audience participation events should be received no later than Midnight SLT on Wednesday, December 3rd, 2014.
Remember, this is not a popularity vote. Your top 10 entry / entries should be your prediction of who the actual top 10 will be according to the official judging panel.
- UWA Art Gallery SLurl
- Transcending Borders 3D art entries with direct SLurls & audience participation notes
- Transcending Borders MachinimUWA VII entires with links & audience participation notes
- SL Artist.com UWA MachimmUWA pages
Note: the images and machinima included in this item should not be taken as any indication of my personal preferences as a member of the Transcending Borders jury. They are included purely for the purposes of illustrating the article.