I’ve been covering preparations for the upcoming production of Paradise Lost: The story of Adam and Eve’s original sin, which will be staged by the Basilique Performing Arts Company starting in spring 2014.
A re-telling of the original sin based on John Milton’s Paradise Lost, choreographed and set to the fourteen movements of Mozart’s Requiem Mass in D minor, the production is both ambitious and one of the most highly anticipated theatre events of Second Life, following on the heels of the Company’s lauded and acclaimed Romeo + Juliet.
And now YOU have the opportunity to be a part of the show.
Canary Beck and Harvey Crabsticks, the creative pair behind the production have issued a casting call. On offer are six parts within the production, two of which are to be played by the same actor. The six are:
- Beelzebub – Satan’s right hand man, counsel-at-war, mastermind of the infiltration into Eden and more, and who appears in three scenes of the performance. The person behind this avatar will also be asked to play Moses – part of a dream sequence, Moses does what Moses does best, much to the annoyance of Pharaohs
- Moloch – Satan’s War Captain and all-round war monger. Also seen in three scenes. The person behind this avatar will also be asked to play Noah – he of the flood and very large floating menagerie fame. Also seen in a dream sequence
- Belial – another of Satan’s Fallen, a cunning beguiler working against those who would have war and manipulating things for her / his own advantage; appears in three scenes
- Mammon – a Prince of Hell eager to see it industrialised and its resources exploited (no doubt lining her / his own pockets with gold and precious gems along the way). Again appears in three scenes.
Requirements in Brief
- No prior experience of acting is required, nor are there any special technical requirements or skills requested. Applicants will not be expected to use voice
- Preferred applicants are those with reliable Internet connections who are prepared to commit to 2 hours a week at weekends (13:00 Saturdays or 12:00 noon Sundays) for a 12-week season (March through June 2014)
- Fully costumed and kitted avatars will be supplied to the successful applicants for the duration of the production.
Successful applicants will also receive 50% of all tips donated to them during performances, the remaining 50% going towards funding the Basilique Performing Arts Company’s adoption of Ihoho, an infant mountain gorilla living in Rwanda. you can read more about why the Company has decided to adopt a baby mountain gorilla on Canary’s blog.
For full details on the roles and the requirements, please refer to Canary’s blog post.
How to Apply
Supply a note card in-world to either Canary Beck or Harvey Crabsticks (crabsticks Resident), giving your name and any information you feel relevant by no later than Friday January 31st, 2014.
Romeo + Juliet in Second Life
Sunday January 19th marks the 31st performance of the Basilique Performing Arts Company’s Romeo + Juliet in Second Life. This means that, including the Sunday presentation, there are only five performances of this acclaimed production left in the winter season. These are (all times SLT):
- Sunday, January 19th, 12:00 noon
- Saturday, January 25th, 13:00
- Saturday, February 1st, 13:00
- Saturday, February 8th, 13:00
- Friday, February 14th, 13:00
All performances are at The Basilique Playhouse, and the show comes very highly recommended – it really should not be missed. See also my notes on the production’s winter season and on attending a performance.
- Casting Call for Paradise Lost in Second Life – Canary Beck