Back at the start of the year, Simon Linden revealed he’d done some preliminary work on using Leap Motion within Second Life, allowing the former to provide some limited control of in-world avatar actions.
Now none other that our own Draxtor Despres has been trying-out the Leap Motion, and has produced a video of his experiences and some notes on using the kit with Second Life. It’s an informative piece which includes playing Loki Elliot’s The Well.
Drax uses GameWAVE to configure his leap Motion device, and the video shows he gains a reasonable level of control over avatar movement, and GameWAVE has the potential to add control beyond that demonstrated within the video.
For those into compiling their own viewers, Simon’s code is still available in the viewer-rabbit repository, but please read his notes in his original blog post.
With thanks to Drax for pinging me about this.
This summary is published every Monday and is a list of SL viewer / client releases (official and TPV) made during the previous week. When reading it, please note:
- It is based on my Viewer Round-up Page, a list of all Second Life viewers and clients that are in popular use (and of which I am aware) and which are recognised as adhering to the TPV Policy
- By its nature, this summary will always be in arrears
- The Viewer Round-up Page is updated as soon as I’m aware of any releases / changes to viewers & clients, and should be referred to for more up-to-date information
- The Viewer Round-up Page also includes comprehensive links to download pages, blog notes, release notes, etc., as well as links to any / all reviews of specific viewers / clients made within this blog.
Updates for the week ending: November 3rd, 2013
Official LL Viewers
- Current Release updated on October 23rd to version: 22.214.171.1242535 (formerly the”ShareStorm” RC viewer combining SLShare functionality with request teleport feature, et al) – release notes
- Release channel cohorts (See my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- GPU Table Update RC 126.96.36.1992997 released on October 28 (download and release notes) – GPU table updates only, no functional changes
- Maintenance RC updated on October 30 to 188.8.131.523139 (download and release notes) – finer access control for estate/parcel owners; CHUI: toggle expanding Conversations by clicking on icon; GPU table update + more
- Project viewers:
LL Viewer Resources
- Black Dragon updated on November 1st to version 2.3.6 Alpha (Maintenance) – core updates: numerous tweaks to the UI (panel layouts, etc.), MU, OOC chat options added; SLurl-style names gain further options (mute / offer teleport / pay, etc.) (release notes)
- Firestorm updated to version 184.108.40.206838 – October 30 – core updates: parity with LL 3.6.7 code, materials processing, conversations histories, movelock, export to Collada, back-up to .OXP, particles support, reject teleport, mesh requests (MeshMaxConcurrentRequests) capped, 64-bit Windows support + more (release notes)
- Cool VL updated on November 2nd to:
- Stable version: 220.127.116.11
- Experimental version: 18.104.22.168
- Release notes (both) core updates: addition of .OBJ and .DAE exporters from Singularity; FMOD Ex updated to v4.44.24; fix for InWorldz log-in crash bug; assorted code updates, removal of dead code and minor fixes + optimisations
Additional TPV Resources