Update, July 31st: further to the note below relating to the BlueSteel RC deployment, it appears the bug fix did not clear QA in time for the deployment to occur. Maestro Linden has updated the deployment thread to read: “BlueSteel’s planned project hit some last minute issues, so the update has been canceled for this week. Instead, BlueSteel will not be rolled this week (it will match the version on the ‘Second Life Server’ channel).“
Server Deployments Week 31 (Week Commencing Monday July 29th)
As always, please refer to the week’s forum deployment thread for news, updates and feedback.
Second Life Server (SLS Main) Channel
On Tuesday July 30th, the SLS Main channel received the server maintenance package previously deployed to BlueSteel in week 30 and LeTigre in week 29. This project includes:
- A further fix for the issue of pathfinding characters using CHARACTER_STAY_WITHIN_PARCEL getting stuck if they somehow exited their home parcel
- Fixes for objects failing to detect collisions after teleporting (BUG-969) and run time permissions failing to function correctly on attachments (BUG-2931)
- New capabilities to the materials system to better handle texture requests.
Release Candidate Channels – Wednesday July 31st
Magnum and LeTigre will remain SSA enabled and both receive the updates deployed to the Main channel.
BlueSteel should receive a new server maintenance project. However, a last-minute bug was found in the code. While this has been fixed by Kelly Linden, it has still to pass LL’s QA at the time of writing. Assuming the package passes QA and is deployed, it will include:
- Fixes for some simulator crash modes
- A fix for BUG-3291 (“llListen in linked objects is listening at root instead of linked object local position *after re-rezzing the linkset*.”)
- A fix for BUG-3307 “(llApplyImpulse called from attachment does not work on avatar if script is reset or started when attached”).
As noted above and in part 2 of last week’s report, SSA will not be enabled on any additional server channels this week, but does remain enabled on LeTigre and Magnum as the Lab continue to gather statistics and monitor performance, etc. Commenting on the state-of play, Nyx Linden said, “Testing seems to be going well, but we’re being on the cautious side – making sure that the back-end can handle the load. There are a few reported bugs in JIRA, but *most* are minor and we’re working on the not-so-minor ones.”
I provided an update on some of the more serious issues the Lab has been addressing with SSA in part 2 of my week 30 report (see the link in the paragraph above). Since then I’ve been poked about additional advice the Firestorm team have put together for those experiencing issues, including SUN-98,and I’m providing the relevant information here.
Avatar textures remaining grey / SUN-98: is generally the result of wearing a corrupted clothing asset, and as such is “expected behaviour” in order to avoid cases of accidental nudity, as I explained last week. To help diagnose the problem, the Firestorm team suggest you:
- Remove all clothing and allow the avatar to bake with just the skin layer worn. If it fails to bake properly, the skin is the corrupted asset and needs to be replaced
- If the skin bakes correctly, start adding the clothing layers of the outfit one at a time and check each to see how it bakes
- If an item shows-up fully or partially grey, that is the corrupted asset. Replacing it should allow everything to bake and render correctly.
The Firestorm article also includes some Firestorm-specific actions for problems, and is a work-in-progress, so you can refer to it via the link above for further advice.
Continue reading “SL projects update week 31 (1): server releases, SSA, Interest List”