Server Deployments – Week 29
As always, please refer to the week’s forum deployment thread for news, updates and feedback.
Second Life Server (SLS Main) Channel
On Tuesday 16th July, the SLS Main channel received the server maintenance package previously deployed to Magnum in week 28, intended to fix a couple of pathfinding issues:
- A fix for CHARACTER_STAY_WITHIN_PARCEL defaulting to TRUE if CHARACTER_TYPE is set (BUG-2969)
- A fix for the navmesh bug whereby pathfinding rebakes are continuously triggered if a region has more than one parcel and has no parcel edges above water, then it thinks it needs to rebake (BUG-2975) – see part 2 of my week 26 report.
A slight issue at the start of the rolling restart process on Tuesday 16th July meant that some regions on the main channel experienced to restarts, with the second updating to the correct release.
Release Candidate Channels
On Wednesday July 17th, the three main Release Candidate channels should each receive individual updates, as follows:
- Magnum will become the RC with the server-side baking / appearance project enabled
- BlueSteel should receive a further package of under-the-hood changes related to the experience tools
- LeTigre should receive a new server maintenance project, which includes the following fixes and new features:
- BUG-969 “teleporting breaks collision detection state for volumedetect objects”
- BUG-2931 “run_time_permissions no longer triggers in attachments after requesting 0 permissions”
- A further fix for the issue of pathfinding characters using CHARACTER_STAY_WITHIN_PARCEL getting stuck if they somehow exited their home parcel
- New Features:
- Added “RenderMaterialsCapability” to /simulator/features cap, which indicates the access rate allowed when accessing the “RenderMaterials” capability
- Increased the “RenderMaterials” capability access rate to 4 requests per second (up from 1)
Viewer Updates and Release Process
As I reported at the time (see New viewer release process implemented), the new viewer release process went live in week 28. I’ve provided a complete breakdown of the process and what it means in general, for those who wish to know more.
This has seen a number of beta and project viewers appear on the revised Official Alternate Viewer wiki page, with updated viewers including:
- On July 15th the Second Life Beta channel saw a new release – version 18.104.22.1688491 (release notes)
- CHUI updates continue to appear first in the CHUI project viewer, which released version 22.214.171.1248372 on July 9th
- The project Cocoa viewer for the Mac also updated on July 15th, to version 126.96.36.1998025.
In a late change to the deployment schedule, Magnum will the RC channel to have SSB/A enabled following the rolling restarts on Wednesday July 17th.
This will include a fix for BUG-3203, the “notecard bug” I reported on in week 28 (with thanks to Whirly Fizzle), wherein if you create a notecard in an SSB/A region (i.e. a region on the LeTigre RC at the moment) and attempt to embed anything in it (e.g. LMs, textures, other notecards), the notecard will fail to save with the message: Unable to upload (asset ID number) due to the following reason: The server is experiencing unexpected difficulties. Please try again later.