Tilia Inc, the a wholly-owned subsidiary of Linden Lab formed in 2014 and focused on payments and the compliance work associated with operating virtual economies, including Second Life and Sansar, officially commenced operations in respect of Second Life on Thursday August 1st, 2019.
Linden Lab reminded users of this via an official blog post, Tilia Officially Begins Operations Today in Second Life.
In my summary of the Tilia Town Hall meeting of Friday, July 12th, I attempted to précis the impact of the changes and how they affect people with a simple set of notes. I’m reproducing that table below, updated with information from the Lab’s August 1st blog post, in what I hope is an easy-to-follow guide.
How Do the Tilia Changes Affect YOU?
+++ If you have a US dollar balance associated with your Second Life account +++
You are required to accept the Tilia Terms of Service on or before October 31st, 2019.
If you do not accept the Tilia Terms of Service by October 31st, 2019 you will not be able to utilise your USD balance or request a process credit until such time as you do accept the Tilia TOS.
+++ If you add a US Dollar balance to your Second Life account AFTER October 31st, 2019 +++
You will required to accept the Tilia Terms of Service in order to utilise that balance.
+++ In Addition +++
If you wish to credit process all or any part of a US dollar balance (that is, transfer it out of Second Life to PayPal or Skrill or another supported method), and have not already provided personal information to Linden Lab you will be required to submit said information.
To check whether Tilia has the required information on file in order for you to be able to process credit, please refer to: Tilia: how to ensure your process credit information is on file.
+++ If you do not have a US dollar balance associated with your Second Life account +++
You do not have to consent to the Tilia Terms of Service
With reference to non-acceptance of the Tilia Terms of Service by those with US dollar balances associated with their Second Life account after October 31st 2019:
- They will still be able to log-in to Second Life.
- They will still be able to use any payment method they have on file to pay for services (e.g. purchase Linden Dollars, pay Premium membership or tier).
- It is only their US dollar balance that they will be unable to utilise.
Via Linden Lab
- Voluntary Regulatory Information Submission – July 22nd, 2019
- Important Changes to your Second Life Account – Introducing Tilia – July 1st, 2019
- Tilia FAQ – July 1st, 2019
- Tilia Terms of Service – effective from August 1st, 2019
- Official Tilia Q&A Forum Thread
- General Tilia / Second Life forum discussion thread
- Official video of the Tilia Town Hall Meeting
- Tilia Inc. website
Tilia Related Articles, This Blog
- Tilia: how to ensure your process credit information is on file – July 22nd, 2019
- Tilia Inc and Second Life: town hall summary and video – July 13th, 2019
- Tilia Inc., and forthcoming Second Life account changes – July 1st, 2019
- Tilia – a further look and a little more speculation – July 2nd, 2019
- Linden Lab and Tilia Inc. – speculations on the Lab’s new subsidiary – November 4th, 2015
* Note: I actually held off blogging on this on August 1st as there was some ambiguity in the original wording of the Lab’s blog post which might have been taken to mean that user not accepting the Tilia Terms of Service by October 31st, 2019 would lose all access to their US dollar balances in perpetuity. As a result of discussions with the Lab, the blog post was revised on August 2nd to clarify the point that users will be unable to utilise their US dollar balances at October 31st until they accept the Tilia Terms of Service.