The following notes were taken from the Tuesday, March 30th, 2021 Simulator User Group (SUG) meeting.
Please refer to the server deployment thread for the latest news and updates.
- Tuesday, March 30th: no planned deployment or restart.
- Wednesday, March 31st: the SLS RC channels should all be updated with simulator release 557505, defined as containing “internal fixes”.
On Region Restarts
There is a general assumption that region restarts result in a region and its simulator being relocated to a new server. However, this is not always the case, as Rider and Simon Linden explained:
Simon Linden: the host change isn’t burnt into the design for a restart. basically you stop the region, and another part of the system sees the region is down and hands it out to a system to run it. Based on random timing that might end up on the same host.
Rider Linden: We simply do not guarantee that you will remain on the same host after a restart. Where a region comes back up depends on a lot of factors that are outside the realm of predictability.
Simon Linden: [However] during a version update, that’s VERY unlikely since the old ones get replaced with new ones.
There have been no official viewer updates to mark the start of the week, leaving the pipelines as:
- Release viewer: version 18.104.22.1685567 (Jelly Doll improvements) originally promoted February 17th.
- Release channel cohorts (please see my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- Project viewers:
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 22.214.171.1240519, dated October 26.
- Copy / Paste viewer, version 126.96.36.1993365, dated December 9, 2019.
- Project Muscadine (Animesh follow-on) project viewer, version 188.8.131.522999, dated November 22, 2019.
- 360 Snapshot project viewer, version 184.108.40.2069111, dated July 16, 2019.
- While they were not intended to directly benefit vehicle region crossings, there have been reports by some that the changes made in the deployment over the previous two weeks have improved things. However, and equally, others are reporting declining smoothness of crossings. As it is, Rider noted that the team haven’t yet had the chance to dig deeply into the code since uplift.
- BUG-229871 “Unable to re-enter or telport to a region that I’ve been to during same session” – this remains an issue. Unfortunately, issues with testing the upcoming simulator release been the work on a fix has been delayed.
Map tiles continue to be worked on, but not fully fixed. There are now a couple of user-developed alternatives available, each with mixed functionality: