The following notes were taken from the Tuesday, March 23rd, 2021 Simulator User Group (SUG) meeting.
Please refer to the server deployment thread for the latest news and updates.
- Tuesday, March 23rd: the SLS Main channel received simulator update 556847, which includes the optimisations for crossing and teleporting into a region. This should result in less of a performance hit being felt with lots of people entering a region.
- Anecdotal evidence from reports after this update was deployed to RC regions suggested vehicle region crossing had improved.
- The update also states that BUG-226851 – “Only 30 – 50% of scripts run on regions since SLS Main server roll of April 18th” – has been resolved. However, there are reports that the deployment appears to have made little or no difference.
- Wednesday, March 24th: the SLS RC channels should all be updated with simulator release 557269, defined as containing “internal tweaks”.
On the Teleporting / Region Access Changes
The basic change seen in 556847 mean that instead of multiple avatars trying to get into a region at once, they are now, in a manner of speaking, waiting in line, thanks to the order in which things are handled, as Mazidox Linden described.
Previously, when you teleported to a new region, we stopped the world, grabbed all the data, and injected it into the simulation before resuming the world. Now when you teleport to a region, we grab all the data, stop the world, inject the data into the simulation, and resume the world. Very, very, very approximately.
– Mazidox linden on the changes to how avatars enter a region.
Rider Linden that added that the performance hit people feel in busy regions is not so much the result of the avatars in the region, but all of those trying to get into it, which the new approach should now help eliminate.
There have been no official viewer updates to mark the start of the week, leaving the pipelines as:
- Release viewer: version 22.214.171.1245567 (Jelly Doll improvements) originally promoted February 17th.
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 126.96.36.1990519, dated October 26.
- Copy / Paste viewer, version 188.8.131.523365, dated December 9, 2019.
- Project Muscadine (Animesh follow-on) project viewer, version 184.108.40.2062999, dated November 22, 2019.
- 360 Snapshot project viewer, version 220.127.116.119111, dated July 16, 2019.
- In terms of monitoring changes as a result of fixes for issues such as BUG-226851, the Lab do check the data they are collecting, but it can take time after an initial deployment of fixes.
- There are reports that mesh uploads are generating more HTTP 499 errors (the so-called “Linden catch all”) since the AWS transition. There is no known reason why this might be so, and it is not clear whether or not a bug report has been raised on the matter.
- BUG-229871 TP issues: some people are experiencing teleport issues whereby they cannot teleport back to any region they’ve previously successfully teleported to previously in the same session, but are disconnected – still under investigation.
- Map tiles continue to be worked on, but not fully fixed.