The following notes are taken from the TPV Developer meeting held on Friday, May 1st, 2020. These meetings are generally held every other week, unless otherwise noted in any given summary. The embedded video is provided to Pantera – my thanks to her for recording and providing it. Time stamps are included with the notes will open the video at the point(s) where a specific topic is discussed.
This was a short meeting, with long periods of silence.
SL Viewer News
- The CEF Special RC viewer, version 188.8.131.521204, was issued on Thursday, April 30th.
- [12:54-13:34] This is a specific update put out in support of a particular customer’s event.
The remainder of the official views currently in progress remained unchanged through the week as:
- Current Release version version 184.108.40.2060188, dated April 15th, promoted April 20th. Formerly the EEP RC viewer.
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
- Copy / Paste viewer, version 220.127.116.113365, December 9, 2019.
- Project Muscadine (Animesh follow-on) project viewer, version 18.104.22.1682999, November 22, 2019.
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 22.214.171.1240836, September 17, 2019. Covers the re-integration of Viewer Profiles.
- 360 Snapshot project viewer, version 126.96.36.1999111, July 16, 2019.
General Viewer Notes
- The Zirbenz Maintenance RC looks set to be the next viewer in line for promotion (being the only RC thus far merged up to the EEP code base). This looks set for promotion in week #19 (commencing Monday, May 4th).
- The mesh upload updates viewer is still expected to appear as a project viewer soon™.
- The viewer build tools update viewer is still held up by a couple of significant crash issues.
- An FMOD update viewer is anticipated as appearing soon™.
- Further Chrome Embedded Framework (CEF) RC updates should result in improvements to handling more (and more recent) video codecs, once available.
- [8:07-8:55] The Legacy Profiles viewer has apparently been hit with an issue that has delayed it – although it’s not certain whether or not this has now been cleared up.
- [18:02-18:38] There is work being carried out on group chat. however, it is not focused on performance improvements per se, although it may end up providing some. LL do acknowledge a further pass focused on group chat reliability is required “at some point”, but probably not until after the cloud uplift.
- There are reports that the viewer’s built-in browser is experiencing issues retaining cookies, causing people to have to log-in to the Lab’s own websites when using it (accessing non-SL websites using the internal browser isn’t recommended).
- The simulator-side fix for off-line inventory losses from objects (see: BUG-227179) still has yet to clear QA (due to other issue with the release it is bundled in). The hope is that it will make it onto a server-side RC update “in the next couple of weeks”.
- Firestorm and EEP – it was mentioned that the Firestorm team still have “a lot of work to do” before they’ll be in a position to make an EEP release – the forthcoming Firestorm update will not include EEP.