Note: at the time of writing, the server deployment release notes had yet to be published. This article will be updated when they are available.
- On Tuesday, August 20th, the SLS (Main) channel was updated with server maintenance package 19#19.08.06.529800, containing internal fixes, and previously deployment to the RC channels in week #33
- There was a change to the RC deployments in week#33.
- Server maintenance update containing improvements for script performance and that had been due to be deployed to the BlueSteel and LeTigre channels, was found to have an 11th hour bug that prevented deployment.
- Instead, BlueSteel and LeTigre received the same deployment as had been planned for Magnum –
- server maintenance package 19#19.08.06.529800, containing internal fixes.
- As a result, on Wednesday, August 21st, the RC channels should be updated with at least one server maintenance update, 19#19.08.07.529856, containing the script run improvements. However, at the time of writing, and pending the publication of the release notes, it is not clear if this update will be going to all of the RC channels or just a selection.
- Should this deployment also go sideways for the script improvements updates, those interested can test performance on the Aditi DRTSIM-406 channel at the Jigglypuff region.
The EEP RC viewer updated to version 184.108.40.2060150 on Monday, August 19th, 2019.
The rest of the official viewer pipelines remain as follows at the time of writing:
- Release channel cohorts (please see my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- Project viewers:
- Linux Spur viewer, version 220.127.116.119906, promoted to release status 29th November 2017 – offered pending a Linux version of the Alex Ivy viewer code.
- Obsolete platform viewer, version 18.104.22.1680847, May 8th, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
- Despite the lack of deployment of the script improvement code in week #33, some have reported that overall script performance on some regions appears to have improved. The Lab has picked-up on these reports, but has no explanation as to what may have happened to improve things.
- At the CCUG group meeting on August 15th, it was stated that a Linden at a recent Web User Group (WUG) had hinted the SL wiki was to be gradually deprecated in favour of the knowledge base. However, at the SUG meeting, Oz Linden indicated that this isn’t necessarily the case:
If I proposed killing the wiki, there a Lindens who would show up with pitchforks…rest assured that it is well defended. One of our background-priority projects that is getting some attention is updating the wiki software, actually … no predictions when that might happen, but Someday™.
- A major impact felt by regions is that of avatars teleporting into / out of a region. Some work was done to improve things a while ago, particularly around avatars leaving a region, but the Lab is aware of the issues of avatars coming into a region causing it to slow down / freeze – and this is now described as “moving up” in the Lab’s hit list of issues to tackle.
- There was further discussion around the idea of limiting script use to the parcel level in order to prevent individual parcels taking up all of the script resources for a region. However, as noted in my week #33 summary, this is perhaps much easier said that done.