Autumn Trace, July 2019 – blog post
The following notes are taken from the TPV Developer meeting held on Friday, August 23rd, 2019. A video of the meeting is embedded below, my thanks as always to Pantera for recording and providing it. The key points of discussion are provided below.
This was another short meeting with a lot of general text chat, not reflected in these notes.
SL Viewer News
- Current Release version 188.8.131.529638, formerly the Love Me Render RC viewer dated August 5th, promoted August 12th – NEW.
- Release channel cohorts:
- EEP RC viewer, version 184.108.40.2060150, August 19th.
- Bakes on Mesh RC viewer, version 220.127.116.110037, August 16th.
- Umeshu Maintenance RC viewer, version 18.104.22.1680030, August 15th.
- Project viewers:
- Project Muscadine (Animesh follow-on) project viewer, version 22.214.171.1240100, August 19th.
- 360 Snapshot project viewer, version 126.96.36.1999111, July 16th.
- Legacy Profiles viewer, version 188.8.131.527749, June th5. Covers the re-integration of Viewer Profiles.
- Linux Spur viewer, version 184.108.40.2069906, promoted to release status 29th November 2017 – offered pending a Linux version of the Alex Ivy viewer code.
- Obsolete platform viewer, version 220.127.116.110847, May 8th, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
Bakes on Mesh
As per my August 22nd Content Creation User Group meeting notes, the Lab is hoping to promote Bakes on Mesh (BoM) to release status in week #35 – possibly as early as Monday, August 26th, 2019.
This is ready for promotion, but has been held back as the Lab want to get Bakes on Mesh promoted to release. Umeshu therefore looks most likely to be promoted in the near future. However, if there are late-breaking issues with BoM, the Umeshu RC could be promoted in its place.
As well as the rendering issues currently being addressed, there is apparently one new simulator bug that is being investigated.
There is an upcoming Voice RC viewer, intended to address various voice drop-out issues. It may also have an update SLvoice.exe binary. This is currently awaiting a fix prior to being surfaced in the Alternate Viewers page / the available viewers index page.
- Bitbucket: used to manage viewer repositories) will be sunsetting support for Mercurial; Linden Lab will therefore be switching to git on bitbucket for their repositories. However, the work is not seen as currently being urgent, with Oz Linden noting (via e-mail):
Clearly, how the TPVs handle this needs to depend on your own plans – particularly whether that’s staying with Mercurial hosted some other way or changing to Git (or something else). We will transition to git within bitbucket, preserving full history and as much as possible the ability to work in both during the transition.
When we have a plan in place, which will take some time, we’ll put it on the agenda.
- There may be updates to both the Singularity (in progress) and Alchemy (possibly) before year-end.
- Linden Lab have a quarterly internal review mechanism they call Review-O-Matic for setting staff goals and reviews. It is, according to Grumpity Linden, “neatly packaged with a tradition of eating treats”.
- One Linden staffer owns an alpaca farm. This prompted a brief discussion on whether alpaca are cute pets or food. I opted to go with both, suggesting: The Alpaca (vicugna pacos): Loveable pet or delicious dish?“. I may have caused some distress to Whirly Fizzle, who puts alpaca firmly in the “pet” category 😀 .