A traditional event during the RFL season is the Bid Me Bald challenge organised by the Relay Rockers. As the name suggests, people are invited to bid (make donations to RFL) to see a well-known Second Life resident go bald for a period of time in-world. First held in 2007, Bid Me Bald is presented as a means to honour those who have lost their hair as a result of their cancer treatment, with those volunteering to participate going bald for one day for each L$5000 raised through donations.
In 2017, to mark the 10th anniversary of Bid Me bald, a new twist was added to the mix when three teams from Linden Lab put themselves up for bidding / donations in Bid A Linden Bald. In 2018, the Lab again put forward three teams for Bid Me Bald, with the team raising the least amount of money will once again go bald for the amount of days equal to the total of the team raising the most, with the time shared among the losing team members.
Those two events between them raised more than L$3.5 million for Relay for Life. For 2019, the Lab is participating with five teams:
- Customer Account Operations: Dakota Linden, Theresa Linden and Vanessa Linden.
- Concierge Support: Dottie Linden, Evie Linden, Rocko Linden, TJ Linden, Vix Linden, Volo Linden and Wendi Linden.
- Land Operations: Constantine Linden, Izzy Linden, Kona Linden and Madori Linden.
- Tier 1 Support: Acan Linden, Cantara Linden, Ellie Linden, Ginger Linden and Jet Linden.
- Support Management: Ami Linden, Derrick Linden, Kristin Linden and Maggie Linden.
Bidding officially opened on Wednesday, May 15th and will run through until May 22nd, when the losing team will be up for a haircut at a special event!
Should you wish to place a bid, drop in to the Relay Rockers’ home region. You may be redirected to the main landing point, so just follow the signs to the bidding kiosks. You can make your donation based on the team you’d like to see win – or against the team you’d like to see lose!