Updated, September 2nd: to reflect the Maintenance RC viewer 184.108.40.2068612 being replaced by version 220.127.116.118812 on Thursday, August 31st.
Server Deployments Week 35
Please refer to the deployment notice for the week for latest updates and news.
- On Tuesday, August 29th, the Main (SLS) channel received the server maintenance package previously deployed to the three RC channels in week#34, #17.08.11.328152, comprising the MIME type changes for HTTP.
- On Wednesday, August 30th, the RC channels were updated with a new server maintenance package 17#17.08.22.507928 comprising some tool changes made to the simulator software build systems, which should not change functionality anywhere.
Dual Region Restarts
For around the last month, it appears that some regions have been undergoing unintended double restarts: the first sees the region comes back on-line on the same simulator version as before the restart, but on a new host. The second restart – occurring roughly an hour later – sees the region restart on the new simulator version, but still on the same host as the first restart.
This is not normal behaviour, and JIRAs are request – with logs – from anyone witnessing their region doing this following a weekly deployment,.
On Thursday, August 31st, 2017, the Lab released a new Maintenance RC viewer, version 18.104.22.1688812, comprising a wide range of bug fixes.
This RC has been pulled due to BUG-134213, [Maint: Moonshine] breaks clickable functionality for certain HUDs.
The rest of the viewer release pipelines remain unchanged from the end of week #34:
- Current Release version 22.214.171.1248060, dated August 9, promoted August 23 – formerly the Maintenance RC
- Release channel cohorts (please see my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- Alex Ivy 64- bit viewer version 126.96.36.1997412, dated July 21
- Voice RC viewer, version 188.8.131.527253 dated June 23
- Project viewers:
- 360-degree snapshot viewer version 184.108.40.2066743, dated June 29 – hands-on overview
- Obsolete platform viewer version 220.127.116.110847, dated May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
Much of the Simulator User Group meeting of Tuesday, August 29th, focused on animation syncing. Animations are largely handled by the viewer, and there are minimal user control over how animations sync (e.g. couples animations when dancing, except when loaded. There have long be calls for more granular levels of user control over animations – such as a scripted means of pre-caching (such as can be done with sounds) to help with smoother playback, and better syncing control.
Firestorm offers a degree of individual user control of animations through the resync animation command / button. However, there’s no easy way to synch animations between viewers to ensure everyone is seeing the same thing – which can be an issue when dealing with the likes of games and things, and could complicate matters with animated objects / animesh.An interim suggestion might be for the Lab to adopt the Firestorm resyc function, were it to be contributed.