As always, please refer to the server deployment thread for the latest news.
- On Tuesday, June 6th, the Main (SLS) channel was updated with a server maintenance package (17.05.26.326655), containing fixes to help with the caps (capabilities) router, particularly with reference to trying to teleport to regions which have a heavy avatar load (see here for details).
- On Wednesday, June 7th, the RC channels should be updated as follows:
- BlueSteel and LeTigre should each receive the same server maintenance package (17.06.01.326763), comprising internal fixes.
- Magnum should receive a server maintenance package, but details were still TBD at the time of writing.
Capabilities Losses at Region Restart
Some regions are still suffering capabilities failures at restart (see this forum thread for an example, and see these wiki pages for more information on capabilities: Capabilities and Current Sim Capabilities). This overall caps system is shared at the server level, so when problems like this occur, it affects all of the regions on that server, which then require an individual restart to correct.
There have been no further viewer updates since my last project updates article. This leaves the current viewer pipeline as follows:
- Current Release version 220.127.116.116444, dated May 18th, promoted May 23rd – formerly the Maintenance RC viewer overview
- Release channel cohorts:
- Project viewers:
- Obsolete platform viewer, version 18.104.22.1680847 dated May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
“We are going to kick off a set of environment improvements – exact scope is still TBD,” Oz Linden states at the Simulator User Group meeting on Tuesday, June 6th. “[but] there are a couple of hot problems that need to be stomped first.”
While the exact nature of these improvements is still TBD, the comment sparked a conversation on parcel windlight settings, which Oz indicated the Lab is still planning on implementing. While all discussion on this is still somewhat speculative, the current thinking on this at the Lab is:
- The precedence will be 1) viewer local (so if you set a windlight through the viewer, that will take priority over any windlight indicated by the region / parcel) , 2) parcel (if allowed by estate), and 3) region
- Currently, it is unlikely that the parcel controls will allow setting windlight environments by altitude (aka Firestorm zoning).
The latter point is perhaps the most contentious for those using the current Firestorm zoning for windlight – not only does this allow different windlight conditions for different altitudes (particularly useful in role-play regions which may have different locations stacked vertically, each of which is ideally suited it its own environmental setting), it also things like caves and caverns to have their environment set to midnight, naturally darkening them (a technique we use at Caitinara Bar for the benefit of those using Firestorm).
In addition to parcel windlight, the Lab is looking to add an experience-controlled way to change environment for an individual avatar – so that those joining an experience will have their viewer automatically adopt the windlight setting for the experience, if one is set. This could also provide a means for “altitude zoning” of windlights to some degree.
None of these additions will prevent users applying their own viewer-side windlight should they wish (as noted above).
Other subjects possibly on the list of environmental settings:
- Selectable cloud textures (similar to the capability in Firestorm)
- The ability to change the moon texture
- Adjustable day length (so, for example, one SL day = a physical world day)
As Oz noted in the meeting, the details of what the Lab would consider working on with the environment improvements has yet to be fully defined; however, he also added, “When we get to the point where we’re ready to start work on it (hopefully very soon), we’ll post a description of what we’ve got in mind … and yes, we’ll accept suggestions for improvements then.”