On Friday, September 11th, Duran Duran, the English rock band out of Birmingham, issued their 14th studio album, Paper Gods. In a career spanning some 36 years. albeit with various line-ups and changes of face and style along the way, the band has enjoyed remarkable longevity.
They’ve also had a long association with Second Life. The Duran Duran Universe was launched by duranduran.com in-world on June 16th 2011, although planning for it goes back to around 2006. It comprises four regions, each with icons from the Band’s long history:
- Tlon, an entertainment Island, featuring an eyeball that ‘follows’ the users (“Being Followed“), a Mediterranean Spa and the Cinema Eye
- Azizi, an urban style Island, on the lines of a cosmopolitan city which includes the unmistakable Lipstick Tower which has to be explored to be believed
- Sanhedralite, the nature island
- Khanada, the region where “users can visit each band member’s dressing room (designed by the band members themselves)”.
It is to Khanada that attention is being drawn for Saturday, September 12th, when from 13:00 SLT, a celebratory party will take place at the Khanada Giant Record Player. The event is of course organised by the folk responsible for running the regions on the band’s behalf, and no assumptions should be made that members of the band will actually be there. It does, however, give Duran Duran fans the opportunity to get together and mark the launch of Paper Gods.
The dress code is obvious: light pink or light blue (although I’m sure a flamboyant uniform would also be acceptable 🙂 ). Lipstick (for the guys) entirely optional.
and that only leaves me to leave you with the title track from the album.
- Khanada Giant Record Player, Khanada (Rated: Moderate)