On Monday, August 24th, I received a notice from Jessii2009 Warrhol announcing the launch of Team Diabetes of Second Life.
Founded by Jessi and Johannes1977 Resident, Team Diabetes is the official and authorised team of the American Diabetes Association in Second Life. Functioning as an advisory board, Team Diabetes of Second Life comprises members Jessii2009 Warrhol, Johannes1977 Resident, Emma Portilo, Veruca Tammas, Sandie Loxingly, Rob Fenwitch and Earth Nirvana, with Saiyge Lotus serving as special advisor to the board. Team Diabetes activities each year will be lead by a coordinator, with Jessii2009 Warrhol filling the role for the 2015 season.
Some 387 million people globally live with diabetes, and the World Health Organisation estimates that diabetes could be the 7th leading cause of death by 2030.
Team Diabetes of Second Life’s mission is to raise awareness of diabetes, promote greater understanding of the issues those suffering from diabetes face, and to raise funds to further research into cures for diabetes.
With the World Diabetes Day, founded in 1991 by the International Diabetes Federation, occurring annually on November 14th, the official Team Diabetes of Second Life season will take place from November 2015 through to February 2016, with core events currently being planned comprising:
- Off Season Event – October 1 to October 15, 2015 – Fall Second Life Showcase
- Official Season – November 1 2015 to February 15, 2015
- November 1 – Team Diabetes of Second Life Season Begins
- Entire Month of November – National Diabetes Month and the Team Diabetes Red Hunt
- November 4 to 14 – Art in Hats
- December 1 to 15 – Winter Second Life Showcase
- December 1 to 30 – Windlight Magazine’s Art Showcase
- January 2016 – TBD – Tour de SL Bike Race
- February 2016 – Team Diabetes Heart Ball
In addition to these core events, Team Diabetes of Second Life are reaching out to communities, groups, businesses, organisations and individuals to hold fund-raising events of their own in support of the American Diabetes Association. To help with this, the team will be making a fund-raising tool kit available from September 1st, 2015, which will be available from their in-world office at Non-Profit Commons.
About the American Diabetes Association
Established in 1940 and celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2015, the American Diabetes Association is working to both prevent and cure diabetes in all it forms, and to help improve the lives of all those affected by diabetes. It does this by providing objective and credible information and resources about diabetes to communities, and funding research into ways and means of both managing and curing the illness. In addition, the Association gives voice to those denied their rights as a consequence of being affected by diabetes.
- Team Diabetes of Second life website
- American Diabetes Association website
- Official Team Diabetes of SL American Diabetes Association Online Page
- International Diabetes Federation website