As I noted in a previous post, the first Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk will be taking place in Second Life on Sunday, October 26th, 2014.
The event will take place around a track laid out across two regions adjacent to the American Cancer Society island, and will run from 09:00 SLT through until 17:00 SLT, and be followed by a special party from 17:00-19:00 SLT, giving everyone the opportunity to drop in and help raise funds for ACS as a part of the overall RFL drive.
There will be hourly themed walks, allowing people to get fully into the sing of things, with a special Survivor and Caregiver Hour from 11:00 through noon, and a Remembrance Ceremony from 16:00 through 17:00.
The regions have been beautifully dressed to provide a summer-like walk through woodlands, with an oval cobbled path forming the track, lined with small cabins where sponsors and supporters of MSABC are offering items for sale (all proceeds of which go directly to MSABC / RFL or SL). I’ve given graciously been given a little cabin of my own!
In the centre of the two regions are places to meet and chat with friends, spaces to rest and remember, a pergola were various activities will be held – even a maze to enjoy. The schedule of activities remains as previously published, and I’m including it here for reference:
- 09:00-10:00 – T1 Radio
- 10:00-11:00 – Opening Ceremony
- 11:00-12:00 – Survivor & Caregiver Hour
- 12:00-13:00 – Boot It Up Hour: wear your favorite boots as you walk around the Stride’s path
- 13:00-14:00 – International Spirit Hour: wave your country’s flag as you walk around the Stride’s path
- 14:00-15:00 – Hat’s Aplenty Hour: stride the path in your favourite hat
- 15:00-16:00 – Let’s Get Hopping Hour: grab a hopper and bounce your way around the path
- 16:00-17:00 – Remembrance Ceremony: remembering those who lost their fight against breast cancer
- 17:00-19:00 – Time Machine Special: it’s back to the 1960’s with DJ Trader1 Whiplash!
So why not take a little time on Sunday and join the walk?
About Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer or MSABC is the largest network of breast cancer awareness events in the United States, uniting more than 300 communities across the country. Every breast cancer walk run during the MSABC’s season is seen as an incredible and inspiring opportunity to honour those who have battled breast cancer, raise awareness on how the risk of breast cancer can be reduced, and to raise money to help the American Cancer Society fight the disease with research, information, services and access to mammograms for women who need them.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer across Second Life website
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer website
- MSABC walk SLurl
- American Cancer Society