Server Deployments Week 23
As always, please refer to the server deployment thread in the Technology forum for the latest updates, news or changes to the deployment schedule and for any issues which may have been reported.
Main (SLS) Channel
There was no main channel deployment on Tuesday June 3rd. Instead, the maintenance work which had been scheduled for May 22nd, but which had to be postponed due to problems earlier in the week, took place. Some of us who report on server updates, etc., had mistakenly believed that this maintenance work was actually carried out May 28th; so ho-hum on that score!
Release Candidate Channels
The release channel updates for week 23 will be:
- BlueSteel will remain on the inventory update project, and will not be rolled this week. This project enables support for a new version of the inventory service, AISv3. To make use of this new feature, login with the Sunshine RC Viewer
- Magnum will remain on the Experience Tools project, but will gain some minor changes related to the project – release notes
- LeTigre will move to the “group ban” project. As the name implies, this project adds the ability to ban users from groups (more below) – release notes
The release candidate channel rolls (Magnum and LeTigre) should take place on Wednesday June 4th.
On Tuesday June 3rd, the Lab released the MemShine release candidate viewer, version 184.108.40.2060582. This viewer combines updates from the MemPlugs RC viewer (a variety of fixes to address memory leaks in the viewer and to improve crash rates), and the Sunshine / AIS v3 RC viewer (additional server-side appearance improvements and AIS v3 improvements aimed at outfit changes). Both of these RCs also remain listed on the Alternate Viewers wiki page at the tim of writing.
For the status of all SL viewer releases, please refer to my Current viewer Releases page.
As noted above, the server-side code for group bans is due to start its deployment to the main grid. This functionality, which comprises both server-side and viewer updates, provides the means for owners (and selected roles) in an open enrollment group to selectively ban people from either joining / re-joining their group, in order to help with issues such as group spamming.
The following general points apply to the group bans functionality:
- By default, only the Owners role is assigned the ability to ban other avatars from a group
- The ability can be granted to other roles, if required
- Roles which are granted this ability are also granted the Eject Members and the Remove Members from Roles abilities
- Group members with the Manage Ban List ability will be able to add or remove other users to and from the group ban list
- When a group member is banned from the group, they are automatically ejected
- A user who is banned from a group will not be able to join it either directly or through an invitation (once the capability is fully deployed)
- The ban list for a group can store a maximum of 500 entries
- Group Owners cannot be banned
- When a user is banned from a group, their viewer version does not matter; they will be ejected and banned whether or not they are also using a viewer with the group ban ability
- Additional notes on the capability can be found here.
The code is initially being deployed to the LeTigre RC, and the remaining RCs and the main channel will follow in due course.
There is currently no formal release of a project viewer able to use the group ban functions available via the Alternate Viewers wiki page. According to Baker Linden, speaking at the Simulator User Group meeting on Tuesday June 3rd, the project viewer will most likely be formally released once the server code is fully deployed across the grid.
However, those wishing to test the capability can obtain the current version of the project viewer (Windows / Mac / Linux). If you opt to do so, please keep in mind that until the server-side functionality has been fully deployed across the main grid, group bans will only be enforced by simulators which support the feature.
This means that user who was banned from a group may still be able to join or re-join the group by moving to a region running on a channel which does not currently support the group bans. This may result in them appearing on both the Members List and the Banned Residents list, so once the project has gone grid-wide it might be necessary to either eject or re-ban them once more.
I’ll be providing a complete overview of the group ban function once it has been fully deployed to the grid and the project viewer is officially available via the Alternate Viewers wiki page.