Nikki Mathieson, who is chairing the 2014 RFL of SL event season has circulated a note card in-world outlining some more information on this year’s theme and providing the dates for some of the key events.
The is the tenth year in which the event will have been run in Second Life, and already some $110,000 USD has already been raised. The hope is that 2014 will be another record-breaking year.
There are some differences in the timetable this years, with one major event already rescheduled (the home and Garden Expo, which will take place in September, rather than the usual May), and some familiar activities will not be taking place in quite the way they have in the past.
Initial Event / Activity Dates
Note the following is not a complete list of all RFL of SL events taking place in 2014, just those for which dates are available.
- Sunday 2nd: first 2014 broadcast for Relay Rap
- Saturday February 8th: Team Registrations open and the Paint SL Purple event. If you’ve not already started forming your team, now is the time to do so, and more information on forming teams will be available soon
- Team Convio Challenge: back for another year, this will occur in the first week of February (exact dates TBC), allowing teams to increase their fundraising totals using the convio tool
- Saturday March 8th / Sunday March 9th: Kick-off weekend. The official RFL of SL 2014 season kick-off ceremony will take place on Saturday March 8th as a part of a weekend-long, multi-region, multi-team celebration
- Friday April 4th – Sunday April 13th: 2014 Fashion for Life
- Thursday May 1st – Sunday May 11th: Fantasy Faire 2014
- Sunday May 4th – Saturday May 10th: The Halfway There Journey – a week-long series of team events across multiple regions to celebrate RFL of SL and the teams who fundraise
- Sunday May 16th – Wednesday May 26th: Fiction for a Cure
- Sunday May 30th – Tuesday 8th June: 7th SL Sci-Fi Convention
- Sunday July 6th – Sunday July 20th: Summer Breedables Fair
- Saturday 19th – Sunday 20th July: Relay Weekend
- Wrap-up party – dates TBC
- Tuesday September 16th – Sunday September 28th: 2014 SL Home and Garden Expo
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
- Friday December 5th – Monday December 15th: 2014 Xmas Expo and Breedables Fair.
There will be no Teams ‘R’ Us events in the 2014 season. Instead, multi-team events will be held during the kick-off weekend and the Halfway There Journey week. There may also be opportunities for team-funding at the various major events within the season (FFL, Fantasy Faire, the SF Conventions, etc.). If so, details will be announced as these events approach.
Relay Rap / T1 Radio will again be the official broadcaster for the season, and can be found at T1radio.com. The first Relay Rap broadcast for 2014 will take place on February 2nd, as noted above. Those wishing to listen to broadcasts through the season can do so by adding T1’s stream (http://t1radio.serverroom.us:8242) to their land’s media settings or via their own media player.
Further updates to come as news is made available.
- RFL of SL website
- RFL USA (American Cancer Society)
- RFL UK (Cancer Research)
- RFL of SL coverage in this blog