Given that it is now unlikely that this year’s Second Life Community Convention will take place following the announcement by AvaCon that they have declined organising it, it would seem the Music Jams – gradually growing in ascendency – are set to become the de facto means of bringing about SL users getting together in appreciable numbers in real life.
In fact, given the reach of virtual entertainment, it’s entirely possible Music Jams could serve to build bridges between the various virtual worlds in bringing together music lovers and entertainers from across the grids to hear their favourite performers and to discuss the virtual music scene.
This being the case – and while it is a little late in the day for me to be getting to it, my apologies for that – it seems only appropriate that I make mention of AdMiRe 2012, which was brought to my attention last week by SL resident and friend, Explorer Dastardly.
AdMiRe – Adorable Mixed Realities – has been hosting a live get-together in the Netherlands since around 2009, featuring artists participating live from around the world and with streaming in-world to Second Life. In 2011, over 100 musicians and SL users attended the event and 2012 promises to be at least as big.
AdMiRe 2012 will be taking place between August 3rd and August 5th in Heiloo a municipal town north of Amsterdam, and it sounds like fun. Things will kick-off on the afternoon of Friday August 3rd, and will comprise a mix of live performances and master classes for those wishing to get involved in the virtual music scene. If possible, the event may also be streamed in-world to SL as well; details on this are still very much up in the air, however.
The venue for the weekend is the Fletcher Hotel in Heiloo, a first class hotel with comfortable rooms, an excellent restaurant and which is only a half-hour bike ride from the nearest beach. The venue offers two wonderful performance areas – an intimate music bar that runs all weekend plus a large stage for the all-day music-event on Saturday. Both stages are run by professional sound engineers for exceptional sound quality. There will be an AdMiRe desk for check-in and help on-site should you have any questions on your arrival.
I’ve summarised the core details below – please also see the AdMiRe blog and you can contact members of the AdMiRe team in-world with any questions ahead of the event (see Related Links, below).
- Venue: Fletcher Hotel Heiloo, Kennemerstraatweg 425 1851 PD Heiloo
- Heiloo is approximately 40 minutes from Schiphol Airport by rail, with a one-way fare costing around 8 Euros. The hotel is some 1.5km from the Heiloo train station. Train times are available on-line
- Start-time: 15:00 (local) Friday August 3rd, with music sets finishing at 01:30 on the morning of Sunday August 5th
- Two venues for live performances appear to be available for the event, one of which is described as an “intimate music bar”, while the other is the main stage which will be used for the “all day” aspects of the event
- Confirmed artists: Kaycee Drayman, Wannahave Ferraris, Xander Nichting, Allergra3 P, Inchino Melson, Tim Anadyr, Franck Molko, Nadine Morani, Ian Bleac and his daughter Ruthy, Babba Ballyhoo, Thera Nayar, Mar Biddle, Bara Jonson, Free Balan, Laralette Lane, Lefty Unplugged, Yip Jannings and Hannes Breda.
Registration and Hotel Booking
- Event registration:
- Weekend general admittance: 25 Euros
- Friday general admittance: 10 Euros
- Saturday general admittance (midday onwards): 20 Euros
- Artists’ registration fee: 15 Euros
- Hotel room rate: 154 Euros (incl. taxes) plus a 5 Euro booking fee
- Rate is inclusive of dinner on Friday / Saturday and buffet breakfast on Saturday / Sunday
- Lunch is not included in the rate, be will be available in the hotel’s a la carte restaurant (or you can BYO)
- A single supplement of 15 Euros will be applied if you require a single room.
- Check-in / check-out times:
- Check-in 15:00 onwards on Friday 3rd August
- Check-out must be by 11:00 on Sunday 5th August
- Non-hotel residents can join those at the hotel for dinner on both Friday and Saturday for a cost of 29.50 Euros each (payable to the hotel directly). Dinner places must be booked on arrival at the hotel on Friday, and no later than 15:00 on Saturday
- Hotel bookings – make sure you make it clear you are booking for AdMiRe 2012:
- By phone: (+31)725052244
- By fax: (+31)725053766
- By e-mail: banquet-at-fletcherhotelheiloo.nl
- Faxes and e-mails should be for the attention of Moira Bosch
- AdMiRe blog
- Facebook group: AdMiRe-NL
- AdMiRe team:
- Inchino Melson (a bit of Everything)
- Kaycee Drayman (Bookings / Music Coordinator)
- Mar Biddle (Local Coordinator)
- XanderNichting Writer (Sound Coordinator)
- Wannahave Ferraris
- JoJa Dhara (Community Manager)
- Sas (Fairy Vita)
With thanks to Explorer Dastardly and Kaycee Drayman.