The 2014 SL Christmas Expo & Winter Breedables Fair opens on Thursday, December 4th, 2014 and will run through until Monday, December 15th, 2014. As usual, this annual event offers something for everyone, including the opportunity to help raise funds for Relay For Life of Second Life, an official charity of the American Cancer Society.
Taking place across eight regions, including the entertainment and winter auction regions, the Christmas Expo is supported by many top designers from across SL, and offers visitors a great seasonal shopping experience coupled with a range of entertainments taking place throughout the Expo, together with a some very special events, including:
- Best of Second Life (BOSL) Magazine Cover Live Auction, Saturday, December 6th, 13:00 SLT: bid to have yourself or your brand featured on the cover of the March 2015 Best of Second Life magazine. 100% of all proceeds from bids go to Relay For Life of Second Life
- 2014 Holiday of Hope Ball, Saturday, December 13th, 16:00-20:00 SLT: this special ball will take place at the Nutcracker’s Palace above the Expo. Two special raffle baskets will be on offer to all Expo and Ball attendees, with 100% of all proceeds from purchases going to Relay For Life of Second Life.
- Best of Second Life (BOSL) Miss Virtual World Gowns Raffles – these special raffles will feature the one of a kind gowns, which are worn by the current Miss Virtual World contestants. Raffle winners will be announced on Monday, December 15th, 2014
- Hunt for the Bells – participants will be able to hunt for special bells scattered across the Expo. The bells contain a variety of items from SL creators and designers, with each item purchasable for just L$10, and 100% of the proceeds will go to Relay For Life of Second Life.
- Silent Auctions & Raffles – many items and even special Christmas ornaments are up for auction and raffle in these events! 100% of the proceeds will go to Relay For Life of Second Life.
- One Of a Kind (OOAK)Breedables Auction – Bid on one of a kind breedables from some of SL’s favourite breedable brands. 100% proceeds of this auction goes to relay For Life of Second Life.
- Naughty Or Nice – teleport to the participating shops and find the green Christmas present Naughty or Nice Giver. Touch the box and receive either a nice gift or a naughty gift! You can check back to see if you have been naughty or nice and to get a free gift. All gifts in the Naughty or Nice boxes are 100% FREE!
For the full lit of events and entertainments, please refer to the Expo’s Event Schedule page. You can also find a full list of participating stores and exhibitors, and maps of the event are also available.
The four regions of the Xmas Expo and two Winter Breedables Fair regions are laid out in the traditional grid pattern, roads and footpaths swept clear of snow and ice so as not to present a hazard to visitors. Stores in the Expo area are neatly arranged in warehouse-style units, while the Breedables regions, as one might expect, are more open in nature. Flanking either side of these regions are the entertainment and auction regions.
For those who don’t fancy walking from one end of the Expo / Fair to the other, there is a tram service running back and forth through the middle of both, with a terminus in both the entertainment region and the auction region.
A regular feature of the Xmas Expo is the Christmas Holiday CD, all proceeds from the sale of which go directly to RFL of SL. This year, in a change to previous years, the CD will feature classical versions of favourite holiday songs. The CD will be available at all Information & Welcome Areas across the eight regions of the Xmas Expo and Winter Breedables Fair, at just L$100 per copy – just look for the special vendors.
About Relay For Life of Second Life
Relay For Life of Second Life is an annual activity that takes place in Second Life in July each year. Volunteers form or join teams to have fun while fundraising and raising awareness from mid-March through mid-July. In July teams build campsites and walk a track, just like a Real World Relay. Since 2005, Relay For Life of Second Life has raised over $2.25 million USD for the American Cancer Society. In 2013, Relay For Life of Second Life has raised over $390,000 for the American Cancer Society. Relay For Life has become an international movement in RL and SL. In 2011 participants from over 80 countries took part in Relay For Life of Second Life.
About the American Cancer Society
For more than 100 years, the American Cancer Society (ACS) has worked relentlessly to save lives and create a world with less cancer and more birthdays. Together with millions of our supporters worldwide, we help people stay well, help people get well, find cures, and fight back against cancer.
- SL Christmas Expo blog
- Xmas Expo and Winter Fair SLurls:
- Relay for Life of SL
- American Cancer Society