Name Changes as a service was launched in April 2020, at a cost of $39.99 (+VAT, where applicable) for changing a either an avatar’s first name, last name – or both.
As most know, first names are free-format (choose whatever you’d like – within reason!), with last names selectable from a pre-defined list that is updated semi-regularly (e.g. with general or “themed” names to mark a time or year, SL or physical world event, etc).
With the deployment of the new Premium Plus subscription option in June 2002 (see: Second Life Premium Plus launches + some notes; updated), it was indicated a new lower fee level for Name Changes would be one of the follow-on benefits for Premium Plus subscribers, to be introduced some time after its initial launch.
With the August 3rd, 2022 announcement, the Lab not only provided details on this Premium Plus fee, they also revealed Premium members would see their fee lowered, and the service is now extended for all account types – Basic, Premium and Premium Plus.
With this announcement, Name Change fees are as follows:
- Basic: US $49.99.
- Premium: US $34.99 (reduced from US $39.99).
- Premium Plus: $14.99.
Basic members who are not familiar with Name Changes can find out more via the following links:
- Now Available: Last Names in Second Life – Linden Lab, April 2020.
- Name Change Updates – Linden Lab, August 2022.
- Name Changes FAQ – Linden Lab.
- Second Life: the return of last names, and some notes – this blog, April 2020.
- Tutorial: Second Life Names Changes – this blog, April 2020.