Since 2012, The Dickens Project, organised and run by Caledonia Skytower and the Seanchai Library team, has presented an end-of-year seasonal celebration the life and works of Charles Dickens.
Running throughout December, the Project presents a range of events and activities that include live readings, music, dancing and more, all of which takes place in a special Victorian themed region and culminates in a week of readings of one of the most popular of Dickens’ stories A Christmas Carol. It’s an event that now attracts some 3,000 unique visitors annually, with some 44% of those visiting in 2019 returning more than once to explore the region and participate in activities.
This year, The Dickens Project will be opening its doors to the pubic on Friday, December 4th, and I’ll have a special preview later in the week. However, ahead of the opening, the Project is presenting the opportunity for Second Life artists and photographers to particulate in the first ever Dickens Project (non-juried) Art Show.
Specifically, artists are invited to submit up to two pieces of art that include one or more of the following:
- Scenes taken at,or inspired by, The Dickens Project over the years.
- Scenes depicting a Victorian Christmas.
- Scenes of natural winter beauty.
In addition, the Project has limited space for suitable 3D pieces of art that can form a part of the show.
Note that submitted pieces cannot be offered for sale, but all artists will have to opportunity to provide information about themselves, their art and where it might be seen / purchased.
- Applications: Tuesday, December 1st through Sunday, December 13th inclusive.
- Set-up: December 14th / 15th.
- Exhibition opens: Wednesday, December 16th.
- Opening celebration: 14:00-16:00 SLT, Friday, December 18th, with DJ Gabrielle Riel, broadcasting live on Radio Riel Main Stream.
- Exhibition closes: Sunday, January 3rd, 2021.
How To Apply
Applications should be made via note card to Willow Moonfire (Starlight Despres). Please include the following information:
- Your full SL user name (not your Display Name).
- Your time zone or best Second Life times to contact you.
- One of the following:
- A low-resolution thumbnail “preview” of the piece(s) you wish to submit.
- An on-line link to where the image(s) or similar samples of your work might be viewed (e.g. Flickr).
- A brief description of your art & biographical notes on yourself.
- If relevant,links to any website, Flickr stream or other on-line portfolio you use and any SLurl to your in-world studio / gallery.
Please note that display space is limited, and if the event is over-subscribed, the number of artists able to participate may be capped.
3D artists wishing to participate in the Art Show should contact Willow Moonfire (Starlight Despres), who will also deal with general enquiries on the Show.