Sunday, March 8th marks International Women’s Day, 2020, a global opportunity to celebrate women’s achievements while calling for greater equality.
Held on March 8th each year, IWD is over 100 years old, the first official event being held in 1911, IWD is a focal point in the movement for women’s rights, and is marked in multiple ways around the world, and in many countries is now a recognised holiday or holiday for women.
The theme for this year’s IWD is #EachForEqual, a call for gender equality, and the the day will be marked in Second Life at Celebrating International Women’s Day in SL, a series of events throughout the day organised and hosted by the Confederation of Democratic Simulators (CDS). The these will comprise music, dance, live performances and interactive activities.
The core entertainment comprises (all times SLT):
- 09:45 – opening with MC DJ QT, who will be playing a range of music from the blues through to contemporary songs and music between Debauche sets.
- From 10:00 – Debauche Dancers: Debauche combines outstanding choreography, creative stage settings, gorgeous costuming to present artistic entertainment that has been pleasing audiences across Second Life since its first performances. Whilst having a core rooted in burlesque, Debauche also incorporates many other dance styles in order to present a memorable theatrical experience for its audiences.
- 14:00: Aleykat: Aleylia Resident is a highly regarded singer in SL who takes listeners on a musical journey, her range including upbeat pop, classical renditions and timeless material.
In addition visitors to CDS are invited to:
- Visit the Making Wave Exhibit: over the last 300+ years, women made enormous strides in establishing for themselves a place of their own in the world, achieving legal and political equality throughout much of the globe. A great deal of this success has derived from the power and insight lent by the rise and ongoing evolution of Feminism. Making Waves chronicles the historical contributions of Feminism to the continuing struggle for social justice, acknowledging the past while looking ahead to the future of the women’s movement.
- The sharing Wall: a wall of posters for YOU to participate in! Bring your favourite poster or images and you’ll be able to set them up for display on our Sharing Wall! It’s free, fun, and can be thought-provoking.
- The Doodle Board: a chalk board for visitors to play on.
About the Confederation of Democratic Simulators (CDS)
Currently comprising six regions, the Confederation of Democratic Simulators (CDS) is the oldest, continuously-running democratic estate in Second Life.Loose themed on Germanic, Alpine, Tuscan, or Mediterranean styles, the regions present an all-encompassing government based on citizen participation, with elections to the Representative Assembly held each six months, and the work of the Representative Assembly supported in its work by a Scientific Council. This governing structure is not role play, as might appear to be the case: it is more a residents co-op, not unlike the way apartment buildings are managed in real life, where every landowner is a “citizen” and is granted the right to vote and be elected to manage the overall space.
Among the goals for this project are: to enable ownership of high-quality public, private, and open-space land; create a themed yet expressive community of public and private builds; and implement novel democratic forms of self-government within Second Life.
- Celebrating International Women’s Day in SL (Locus Amoenus, rated Moderate)