Winter Burn this year will take place on the weekend of Friday, January 25th through Sunday January 27th, 2019, and takes the theme, Seasonal Perceptions.
Perception – the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.
This is particularly important as we move through the seasons, especially the holidays. However, our perceptions are affected by our environment, the things and people around us; even the weather! At this time of year, one person might be shovelling the snow off his driveway while another might spend the day surfing the waves off the coast of Australia.
But it is also influenced by our imaginations. Michael Whelan, a world-renowned artist, once did a painting of his young daughter who loved playing in the sandbox. What he did differently is depict his daughter wearing a spacesuit and playing in a lunar sandbox.
Our perceptions are a driving force in how we interact with the world around us. But imagination is also a strong influencer. Given all that, how would you perceive the seasons? Would you reflect the environment around you or imagine something completely off the wall and different? Show us your “Seasonal Perceptions!”
– Burn2 press release
Those wishing to participate in the event can do so in a number of ways.
- Builders: can participate by building individually (with an invitation to be a part of a Ten Principles Hunt), or by being part of a collaborative team of up to six people to create an art installation. Builders are invited to apply via the Seasonal Perceptions Builder sign-up form.
- Performers: are invited to use the main stage or, if a performance troupe with a stage set, space provided near the main stage. A sign-up form will be made available via the Burn2 website soon, and in the meantime, interest in being a performer can be passed in-world to Cuga Rajal.
- Fashionistas: are invited to bring their style and skill to Seasonal Perceptions. see the Be A Fashionista! Burn2 page, and contact Vickie Maidstone in world,
General questions concerning the event should be addressed in-world to Event Lead Cuga Rajal.
BURN2 is an extension of the Burning Man festival and community into the world of Second Life. It is an officially sanctioned Burning Man regional event, and the only virtual world event out of more than 100 real world Regional groups and the only regional event allowed to burn the man.
The BURN2 Team operates events year around, culminating in an annual major festival of community, art and fire in the fall – a virtual echo of Burning Man itself.
- BURN2 landing point (BURN2 – Deep Hole, rated: Moderate)
- BURN2 website
- BURN2 on Twitter
- BURN2 Facebook Page
- BURN2 Facebook Group
- BURN2 Burning Man Regional Page
- BURN2 in this blog