Server Deployments for Week #40
As always, please refer to the server release thread for updates and the latest news.
- On Tuesday, October 3rd the Main (SLS) received the server maintenance package previously deployed to the Magnum RC channel. 17#17.09.22.508905 comprises improvements to e-mail verification logic (IM to e-mail) which sees the system checking whether the receiving e-mail address is verified or not.
- On Wednesday, October 4th, the Bluesteel, Magnum and LeTigre RC channels should be updated with a new server maintenance package, 17#17.09.29.509228, intended to address the unintended returns issue of two weeks ago – see The Return of the Living Objects: A Pre-Halloween Horror Story for more.
With regards to the e-mail verification update, note that the sending / forwarding of messages to unverified addresses is not blocked – as yet. However, once a viewer-side changed has been deployed, accounts with unverified emails will no longer be able to request that IMs be forwarded to e-mail; attempts to enable the viewer-side setting will fail, and result in a message advising the account holder to verify their e-mail address.
The Voice RC viewer updated to version 188.8.131.529250 on Friday, September 29th. This viewer:
- Adds support for a higher quality voice using SLVoice version 4.9.
- Fixes the apparent position of the speaker in nearby voice.
- Improves retry behaviour when there are problems connecting or during temporary connection problems.
- Logs more detailed information to the Lab for quantifying connection issues.
- Improves security of the communication between the viewer and SLVoice.
- Unrelated to voice, improves the validation of TLS certificates (security improvement).
It should also be noted:
- Local teleports will cause a short (a few seconds) voice interruption because the viewer now detaches from voice a little earlier in the teleport sequence.
- With some SLVoice changes, the SLVoice executable can be copied into another viewer – that will not work with this one. There are changes to the connection between the viewer and SLVoice that are required. Talking to any viewer version should work.
The remainder of the viewer pipeline remains unchanged from the end of week #39:
- Current Release version 184.108.40.2068060, dated August 9th, promoted August 23rd – formerly the Maintenance RC
- Release channel cohorts (please see my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- Maintenance RC viewer, version 220.127.116.119115, dated September 22nd.
- Wolfpack RC viewer,version 18.104.22.1689128, dated September 22nd – this viewer is functionally identical to the release viewer, but includes additional back-end logging “to help catch some squirrelly issues”
- Alex Ivy 64-bit viewer, version 22.214.171.1248209, dated September 1st
- Project viewers:
- Obsolete platform viewer version 126.96.36.1990847, dated May 8th, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7.
Environment Enhancement Project (EEP)
“You will be able to add water settings to the day cycle,” Rider commented at the Simulator User Group meeting on Tuesday, October 3rd, when discussing the EEP project. “So calm seas in the morning and choppy at night.”
Once he’s got the settings working as inventory assets, allowing people to exchange / sell Windlight settings, Rider aims to get the project viewer sorted and available. No time frame on this, but he’s willing to discuss it as people start testing the new environment capabilities, either at the Simulator User Group meetings (noon SLT, Tuesdays) or the Content Creation User Group meetings (13:00 SLT, most Thursdays).