There are no server deployments planned for this week, and no planned restarts for any of the channels.
There is an RC deployment planned for week #8 (week commencing Monday, February 22nd), details of which are still TBA.
As there have not been any rolling restarts, and won’t be any across the entire grid until around week #9, the advice is that if your region is behaving abnormally, file a support ticket to have it restarted. The Lab’s support team are aware that there are no scheduled restarts at present, so they should process requests OK.
With Monday having been a holiday in the United States (Presidents’ Day), there was no meeting at the Lab to discuss viewer promotions. This leaves the current list of Lab viewer unchanged from the end of week #6:
- Current Release version: 126.96.36.1990054, January 15 – formerly the Maintenance RC viewer download page, release notes
- RC viewers:
- HTTP updates and Vivox RC viewer updated to version 188.8.131.520660 on February 4 – combines the Project Azumarill RC and Vivox Voice RC updates into a single viewer (download and release notes)
- Maintenance RC viewer version 184.108.40.2060545 released on February 2 – 38 updates. fixes and tweaks for memory leaks; viewer crashes; UI, permissions and mesh uploader bugs; visual muting issues, autopilot issues and duplicated calling cards (download and release notes)
- Quick Graphics RC viewer updated to version 220.127.116.110127 on January 20 – provides the new Avatar Complexity options and the new graphics preset capabilities for setting, saving and restoring graphic settings for use in difference environments / circumstances (download and release notes)
- Project viewers:
- Obsolete platform viewer version 18.104.22.1680847 dated May 8, 2015 – provided for users on Windows XP and OS X versions below 10.7 (download and release notes).
As noted in my recent TPVD meeting report, further updates are expected to the HTTP / Vivox RC viewer and the Quick Graphics RC viewer, but these may not appear this week.
Region Crossings – Grey Box Issue
There have been increasing reports of region crossing issues, including the return of the “grey box” attachment issue which was originally seen in 2013 when crossing from a BlueSteel RC to any other region. This would see any passenger(s) sitting on a vehicle surrounded by (or even replaced by) a grey prim, and left with no choice but to relog, leaving the prim behind, attached to the vehicle.
At the time of the problem first appearing, Kelly Linden described it thus:
Every agent has a ‘task’ representation on the server that is the same as a prim. The bug is in sending the linked set w/ avatars to the other region: avatars after the first are losing the special avatar treatment and getting passed as a regular linked prim. So that prim is what the server thinks all avatars look like.
Simon then added:
The region crossing code basically un-sits avatars from an object, sends both the avatars and object to the next region [as separate sets of data], which puts them back together. In this case, the 2nd avatar doesn’t get detached properly and things go south from there. So the 2nd avatar gets sent over bundled up with the object … which it’s not designed to do.
It had been thought this issue had been dealt with via a fix for (non-public) BUG-3547. However, if it is resurfacing, the problem now is to pin it down in a reproducible manner, if indeed it is returning. Should you encounter it, please make sure you file a JIRA providing as much information as possible, including your viewer log files, the regions you were crossing between when it happened yo you (or your passengers), the date and time, details of the vehicle you were using, etc.